Thread: Chopra & Gambling

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Chopra & Gambling

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Soul '68 View Post
    An interesting read:

Michael Chopra on gambling addiction and turning his life around

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/62283858
    Thanks for posting that, it sounds like Chopra may have turned a corner - it's not a surprise, but the article seems to confirm that gambling was a problem with him for all of the time he spent at City.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Thanks for posting that, it sounds like Chopra may have turned a corner - it's not a surprise, but the article seems to confirm that gambling was a problem with him for all of the time he spent at City.
    I was told a tale by someone I knew who was close to an ex City player, that Chopra would irritate the feck out of Dave Jones. Chopra would race off the field at half time and spend the entire interval checking his phone for bets he had placed prior to the game kicking off. Not paying the slightest attention to Jones's half time team talk. Chopra knew that Jones wouldn't drop him

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Soul '68 View Post
    I was told a tale by someone I knew who was close to an ex City player, that Chopra would irritate the feck out of Dave Jones. Chopra would race off the field at half time and spend the entire interval checking his phone for bets he had placed prior to the game kicking off. Not paying the slightest attention to Jones's half time team talk. Chopra knew that Jones wouldn't drop him
    So the question begs....why didn't Jones just snatch the phone out of Chopra's hand?

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    So the question begs....why didn't Jones just snatch the phone out of Chopra's hand?
    I'm not sure? What is your take on why he didn't do that ?

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    My interpretation of the Dave Jones years is that he gambled by bringing in a number of players who were very talented but had various problems and to an extent he just let them get on with it.

From a football perspective it nearly paid off spectacularly

Quote Originally Posted by EastbourneBlue View Post
    My interpretation of the Dave Jones years is that he gambled by bringing in a number of players who were very talented but had various problems and to an extent he just let them get on with it.

From a football perspective it nearly paid off spectacularly
    I think you are right there with regard to talented footballers with problems.

I loved the football we played under Jones, He never quite got us over the line though