+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Cardiff Council are killing the City.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Cardiff Council are killing the City.

I'm not quite sure what i think of the road closure or how sustainable it will be in the short term, or long term if the council are preparing us for a complete closure with no plans to open the road back up again. We certainly need much better public transport, cheap, regular and not for profit if CCC are going down this route (excuse pun) or park an ride schemes that offer real value-i'd be all for it then. So, to play devils advocate a little, consider this-Cardiff Castle is one of the most visited tourist attractions in Wales, wouldn't it be progressive for the council to offer tourists who bring in money, a more tranquil surrounding in order to take photos, relax and spend their money directly outside the castle on food, drink and souvenirs? A castle in the middle of a city is very unique although it seems to me that we aren't taking advantage of it in every respect.

Castle ST is shitty, the shops on the front are ugly and disjointed, why not make it an area to be enjoyed and add to the value of the City? I'm pretty sure other Cities would have been all over pedestrianising the area adjacent to the castle in a way to make things more relaxed and in the hope that people with spare cash hang about and buy shit that they don't need and over inflated prices for poor food and drink-we've got to think like a capital City

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Castle ST is shitty, the shops on the front are ugly and disjointed, why not make it an area to be enjoyed and add to the value of the City?
    Perhaps the daft ***** should consider improving the traffic system before they start closing major access roads. Once they've achieved that feat they can start twatting about with tourist attractions.

International

I'm not quite sure what i think of the road closure or how sustainable it will be in the short term, or long term if the council are preparing us for a complete closure with no plans to open the road back up again. We certainly need much better public transport, cheap, regular and not for profit if CCC are going down this route (excuse pun) or park an ride schemes that offer real value-i'd be all for it then. So, to play devils advocate a little, consider this-Cardiff Castle is one of the most visited tourist attractions in Wales, wouldn't it be progressive for the council to offer tourists who bring in money, a more tranquil surrounding in order to take photos, relax and spend their money directly outside the castle on food, drink and souvenirs? A castle in the middle of a city is very unique although it seems to me that we aren't taking advantage of it in every respect.

Castle ST is shitty, the shops on the front are ugly and disjointed, why not make it an area to be enjoyed and add to the value of the City? I'm pretty sure other Cities would have been all over pedestrianising the area adjacent to the castle in a way to make things more relaxed and in the hope that people with spare cash hang about and buy shit that they don't need and over inflated prices for poor food and drink-we've got to think like a capital City
    But the council don't give a toss about the shops you mention, nor do they apparently care about the businesses inside them. The bus routes that normally use Castle street are now all over the place, and where one might have been able to get off one bus and get on the next, now that may entail a 5 or 10 minute walk and result in being late for work etc. so people will waste even more of the time travelling to and from work. In addition the buses later in the day are hard to come by for some reason, and they have not increased the service to anywhere near its previous levels, and even then it was less than adequate.
    They have been talking about better public transport for donkeys years but have done nothing at all about it.

The attempt to close it permanently is by stealth. for some reason certain factions want it shut and have no regard to the knock on effect that will have for a range of other things, most of which have been mentioned here.

When the pedestrianised St Mary Street there was open revolt in the council because there had been so many objections. The decided to have a vote of no confidence in the chairman of the planning committee. He resigned on the evening before the vote of no confidence. The council then went ahead and implimented all his plans.
    That's how much they care.
    And now they could put this covered area down the centre of St Mary St where most of the said Cafe's bars and restaurants are but if they did that they would have no excuse to close Castle Street again.
    Finally, as I mentioned earlier, the covered area is due to be ready by the end of July and on 03 Aug the same cafes bars and restaurants can welcome customers inside thereby reducing the need for it. Would you rather eat your meal while its hot or have someone carry it god knows how far to get it to you? And if the fabled app they are talking about to order ever works it will be a miracle judging by the other administration inspired apps we have seen (or not seen!)

V
    We certainly need much better public transport, cheap, regular and not for profit if CCC are going down this route (excuse pun) or park an ride schemes that offer real value-i'd be all for it then.
    Get in touch with the council or your local councillor then and suggest it, follow the advice that you give to anyone with a different view to you.........Please don’t tell us that you already have

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    V

Get in touch with the council or your local councillor then and suggest it, follow the advice that you give to anyone with a different view to you.........Please don’t tell us that you already have
    I have, i'm a member of the Labour Party, i have put this suggestion forward on a few occasions at meetings. I don't sit on my arse moaning on a messageboard, i try to get involved a little bit. Maybe you should, you seem to know what's right and wrong on this subject.