+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Joniesta (Jonny Williams - CONFIRMED)

Joniesta (Jonny Williams - CONFIRMED)

Phil Cadden says MM wants to sign him. Let's say I'm unconvinced he's the answer.

Re: Joniesta

I’d love him here.
    Fitness is an issue but he is quality.
    If he could be fitted into the team with Wilson to take the free kicks!!

League one standard at absolute best

Fantastic in his prime but not the answer anymore

I love Jonny, technically excellent but been unfortunate with injuries

Would certainly add something to our midfield

Two goals and zero assists in League One this season. No thanks.

He wouldn't be on our radar if he weren't Welsh.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    I love Jonny, technically excellent but been unfortunate with injuries

Would certainly add something to our midfield
    He's been a decent player for Wales, but look at his career statistics in the Championship.

He's played 132 games with 3 goals and 10 assists.

Not great for an attacking/creative midfielder.

Seems a goner, but seriously underwhelmed, doesnt fit into our age profile for reducing age of team either.

Seems there's something to this story;-

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55873156

My main concern with this move if it comes off is Williams' fitness rather than whether he can hack it in the Championship - I think he'd love to come here considering where his career is now and if we got the Williams who plays for Wales, he would be a good addition for us.

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    He's been a decent player for Wales, but look at his career statistics in the Championship.

He's played 132 games with 3 goals and 10 assists.

Not great for an attacking/creative midfielder.
    This and an unfortunate injury record have been the main weaknesses of the player. What he is fantastic at doing though is helping keep possession and winning free-kicks - the former being one of our squad's limitations and the latter leading to one of our biggest strengths.

At the end of the season we're down to one winger (Murphy) so need to look at this position. As per the other thread on this, we're after a more balanced squad age wise so can still sign players above 25 if they fit what we're looking for, but they will be in the minority going forward.

There still seems to be a negative reaction to whatever the club does. Sure, over the past few months the results have been poor but the last fourteen months off the field deserve more praise/time to come to fruition.

He’s cheap and he’s Welsh, that’s why he appeals to the club. Available for £200k as out of contract end of season. Let’s just hope he’s not given any longer than 2 years given his injury record and it isn’t a Bacuna style deal.

An underwhelming signing but given MM thinks Flint is a fantastic centre half at this level what do you expect?

I’d rather we went to the end of the season with what we got, thanked MM for keeping us up, albeit agriculturally, and give a new man as much of a blank canvas as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    He’s cheap and he’s Welsh, that’s why he appeals to the club. Available for £200k as out of contract end of season. Let’s just hope he’s not given any longer than 2 years given his injury record and it isn’t a Bacuna style deal.

An underwhelming signing but given MM thinks Flint is a fantastic centre half at this level what do you expect?

I’d rather we went to the end of the season with what we got, thanked MM for keeping us up, albeit agriculturally, and give a new man as much of a blank canvas as possible.
    As explained by Surge, he's someone who could be of benefit to the squad as it is now and I'd add that he's good enough technically to cope if there is a genuine desire to change to a more progressive way of playing.

McCarthy had him on loan at Ipswich, so maybe he knows how to get the best out of him.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    As explained by Surge, he's someone who could be of benefit to the squad as it is now and I'd add that he's good enough technically to cope if there is a genuine desire to change to a more progressive way of playing.
    When MM leaves Wilson on the bench, I really don't see the need for this signing.

It's not that area of the pitch that we're weakest

Does this mean tomlin is still some distance from returning?

Quote Originally Posted by Kitman View Post
    I would imagine Tomlin isn't being exactly a model pro either

Quote Originally Posted by Kitman View Post
    I don't think we will see Tomlin this season

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    When MM leaves Wilson on the bench, I really don't see the need for this signing.

It's not that area of the pitch that we're weakest
    Well, unless Harry Wilson decides to sign for us in the summer, we’re going to be needing players with creativity for next season - especially with Ojo’s loan over, Hoilett’s contract up and age and fitness doubts concerning Tomlin.

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    Two goals and zero assists in League One this season. No thanks.

He wouldn't be on our radar if he weren't Welsh.
    I thought we were a Welsh club so we should have a majority of Welsh players who are proud to play in the Capital of Wales!

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    McCarthy had him on loan at Ipswich, so maybe he knows how to get the best out of him.
    Williams scored 2 goals and provided 1 assist in 28 games for Ipswich.

Alex Mowatt is out of contract with Barnsley in the summer. He'd be a much better signing.

Well, unless Harry Wilson decides to sign for us in the summer, we’re going to be needing players with creativity for next season - especially with Ojo’s loan over, Hoilett’s contract up and age and fitness doubts concerning Tomlin.
    I agree, but is Jonny Williams the answer? What is our actual plan?

I'm still unsure what our strategy and style is or are we just picking up players because they're cheap?

It's like rummaging in the reduced to clear aisle in Tesco's and coming back with a avocado, a strawberry cheesecake and some noodles. All good items but trying to put them together is another thing.

I think it says something that a league one sicknote is seen as a better alternative creatively than our own players, and that's not a criticism of Williams!

Apart from the odd good game in a Welsh shirt there has been nothing in JWs club career to suggest he is the man to provide the creativity at this level.

He’s 27 and barely played 150 club games scoring just 6 goals. He’s also been part of 2 relegations from this division.

I’m sorry I cannot get enthused about some guy who’s got a ridiculous nickname way beyond his actual ability just because he’s Welsh.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    It's like rummaging in the reduced to clear aisle in Tesco's and coming back with a avocado, a strawberry cheesecake and some noodles. All good items but trying to put them together is another thing.
    Have you not tried avocado noodle surprise yet, then?