+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Professional footballer declares that he is gay

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback

Re: Professional footballer declares that he is gay

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Not sure it's absurd, it's pretty understandable. There's not much to gain.

The greater problem is the terraces rather than team mates for me, without question. Look at all the songs Brighton fans get; now imagine what would happen to an openly gay player. Thousands of people all agreeing that what someone does in their own private life is their business, when there's a chance that an opposition player could be distracted? I doubt it.

Whereas its a lot less likely a player would be confronted face to face by a team mate when probably 90% of the squad would go to his defence.
    the songs are aimed at brighton fans en masse. I doubt many football fans would target one footballer directly asking whether he is the postman or letterbox.

Quote Originally Posted by Feedback View Post
    the songs are aimed at brighton fans en masse. I doubt many football fans would target one footballer directly asking whether he is the postman or letterbox.
    Do Brighton fans still get those songs?

It seems I'm in a minority, and most of us think fans would be absolutely fine about it.

So why, I wonder, is the tally of openly gay footballers in this country still zero? Obviously it's something else. Any suggestions?

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    It seems I'm in a minority, and most of us think fans would be absolutely fine about it.

So why, I wonder, is the tally of openly gay footballers in this country still zero? Obviously it's something else. Any suggestions?
    I have no idea. Most lads I know (and we're in our 40s and 50s) really couldn't give a shite about what consenting adults get up to in their own bedroom, and I'd hazard a guess most people younger than us are even less bothered than we are. So I don't really know why gay footballers don't feel comfortable coming out.

I reckon there would be quite a lot of positivity, with fans policing themselves much in the way racists are shouted down by the majority, so would the homophobes.

I have no idea. Most lads I know (and we're in our 40s and 50s) really couldn't give a shite about what consenting adults get up to in their own bedroom, and I'd hazard a guess most people younger than us are even less bothered than we are. So I don't really know why gay footballers don't feel comfortable coming out.

I reckon there would be quite a lot of positivity, with fans policing themselves much in the way racists are shouted down by the majority, so would the homophobes.
    I think dressing rooms would be fine bar potentially some players from countries with more backwards views, the terraces would have the occasional dickhead but social media would comfortably be the worst of all, there's some absolutely poisonous people on there