+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Anyone else really warming to Mick?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Anyone else really warming to Mick?

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Seriously?
    I can't actually remember a time Cardiff were ever easy on the eye?

Quote Originally Posted by Freitag 4.17 View Post
    I can't remember ever seeing a City team that were less easy on the eye.

I don' t think I'm alone in thinking this is easier to watch than both Warnock and Harris' Cardiff.

I don' t think I'm alone in thinking this is easier to watch than both Warnock and Harris' Cardiff.
    Fair enough. I genuinely can't recall ever seeing anything as grim in football terms from City as the recent performances against Huddersfield, Stoke and Swansea, but each to their own.

I should point out that, unlike the Huddersfield and Stoke matches, I thoroughly enjoyed last night's game as a spectacle due to the circumstances and the bodies-on-the-line, last-ditch defending from City during the second half. A bet on Vaulks to get booked at some point also helped (good old Will), but the quality of City's football was utterly abysmal. Almost comical at times. Meanwhile, the Jacks were also pretty poor. It'll be a travesty in footballing terms if either of those sides somehow gets promoted to the Premier League, but I very much doubt that will happen.

I agree, hardly 1970 Brazil, but better than the previous two managers.

Quote Originally Posted by mrbluejay View Post
    I agree, hardly 1970 Brazil, but better than the previous two managers.
    Is it better than Warnock at start of our promotion season?

Is it better than what Harris did on his run to the play-offs last season? Is it better than what Harris did when on his winning run this season?

It's more recent, but is it really better than anything served up by previous two?

Definitely, particularly when we had ng and Bennett as wing backs....MM seems a really funny decent bloke

I'll take you through a few of the managers who were less pleasing on the eye in your lifetime of supporting Cardiff City. DURBAN, HIBBERT/OSMAN/PHIL NEAL/RUSSELL SLADE/TROLLOPE/WARNOCK, and that's without sitting down for a cuppa and really thinking about it

The end of Harris' reign. I think its a little harsh to judge McCarthy's style at this point, he was clearly brought in and told to sort out the defence, back to basics, keep us up etc. If we're playing the same way at the start of next season then its more of a worry

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    I think its a little harsh to judge McCarthy's style at this point, he was clearly brought in and told to sort out the defence, back to basics, keep us up etc. If we're playing the same way at the start of next season then its more of a worry
    I agree completely. My observations are not meant as a criticism of McCarthy himself - he's working with what he's inherited and he's doing a fine job in my opinion. The difference in the attitude of the side compared to the one that were totally outplayed by the Jacks in December was clear for all to see. However, that doesn't mean the football itself was of any better quality.

As I've said, I enjoyed last night's game, mainly due to the history, what was at stake, etc. But let's be honest here - if that game had involved anyone bar City, most of us who enjoy decent football would have turned it off after twenty minutes maximum. Imagine if it had been Forest and Derby or Blackburn and Preston or Birmingham and Coventry serving up similar fare. This side can be effective, but they're not a good watch by any stretch of the imagination.

Dave Jones side ?

First Team Forest Green Bluebird's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    Dave Jones side ?
    Jimmy Scoular and Jimmy Andrews also spring to mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    Dave Jones side ?
    Of course they were. Has anyone watched the recent reruns of the play off semi against Leicester?

Some people on here have very short memories.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    Of course they were. Has anyone watched the recent reruns of the play off semi against Leicester?

That second leg v Leicester, is up there for me as some of the best attacking football I’ve ever seen us play, even though we ‘lost’ 3-2.

The entertainment and drama that night, was second to none.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post

Premier League quality football. Probably the most exciting and thrilling game - and close to the best atmosphere - I've ever experienced.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    Premier League quality football. Probably the most exciting and thrilling game - and close to the best atmosphere - I've ever experienced.
    Incredible atmosphere and tension.

But, Man City 3-2 at home was right up there with it.

Other than the odd few performances over the years, it would be 2010-11 under Dave Jones.

Some of out attacking football, was fantastic.

If it wasn’t for injuries towards the end of the season/playoffs, we’d have gone up.

We literally had a front four of Bellamy, Chopra, Bothroyd and Burke, with Whitt’s pulling the strings behind.

We didn’t realise just how good we had it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebird23 View Post
    Other than the odd few performances over the years, it would be 2010-11 under Dave Jones.

Some of out attacking football, was fantastic.

If it wasn’t for injuries towards the end of the season/playoffs, we’d have gone up.

We literally had a front four of Bellamy, Chopra, Bothroyd and Burke, with Whitt’s pulling the strings behind.

We didn’t realise just how good we had it.
    The start of the promotion season under Warnock was pretty good, we were ripping teams apart

Then we lost to Preston and he decided to shut up shop and grind out wins

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    The start of the promotion season under Warnock was pretty good, we were ripping teams apart

Then we lost to Preston and he decided to shut up shop and grind out wins
    17/18 we were fantastic, it was fun. Away from home we were always horrible and ground stuff out, and then after the 4 defeats on the spin he just decided we'd grind it out at home. Unless when we played Leeds, we decided to batter them