+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Owen Paterson - 'there's nothing to see here...'

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Owen Paterson - 'there's nothing to see here...'

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood Blues View Post
    Screeching U turn today

There will be another vote on the Owen Paterson suspension and his case will not go before any revised standards body.

Government will now consult on any new standards body.

Not this governments finest hour.
    Right decision.

I can well believe there are grounds to reform the process, and a lack of right to appeal is very curious, and this whole thing with his wife committing suicide and the level of support for him makes me suspect something is out of the norm here.

But you cant reform things retrospectively or to save one person. Presumably if they reform this standards committee structure, then he can be considered in future.

Either way, it was all a very bad look.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    Right decision.

I can well believe there are grounds to reform the process, and a lack of right to appeal is very curious, and this whole thing with his wife committing suicide and the level of support for him makes me suspect something is out of the norm here.

But you cant reform things retrospectively or to save one person. Presumably if they reform this standards committee structure, then he can be considered in future.

Either way, it was all a very bad look.
    Totally agree someone was badly advised maybe Carrie had a whisper in Bo Jo ear , do agree right to appeal is a fundamental human right.

I also think it should not be judged by MP 's something like a court of arbitration based on fact and reason .

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Totally agree someone was badly advised maybe Carrie had a whisper in Bo Jo ear , do agree right to appeal is a fundamental human right.

I also think it should not be judged by MP 's something like a court of arbitration based on fact and reason .
    He did have a right to appeal, he did and it was turned down.

Done the decent thing

Owen Paterson says ‘I will remain a public servant but outside the cruel world of politics’ as he steps down.

Owen Paterson says he is quitting as an MP

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Done the decent thing

Owen Paterson says ‘I will remain a public servant but outside the cruel world of politics’ as he steps down.

Owen Paterson says he is quitting as an MP

Decent thing?

I think he knew it was going to get much worse for him, and without Johnson providing cover he was in more trouble.

He jumped before he was pushed.

A sleazebag and probably corrupt. Behaviour that was excused by the government before they realised the size of the shitstorm they had brought down on themselves (especially from the minority within their own ranks).

Good riddance!