+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: FT: NOTTINGHAM FOREST 1 - 2 CARDIFF CITY.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: FT: NOTTINGHAM FOREST 1 - 2 CARDIFF CITY.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Fair enough, and I may prove well wide of the mark given the paucity of genuine quality in the squad, but I think they'll claim a play-off spot almost by default given the fact that so many teams at this level are simply unable to cope with defending against City's aerial threat. They'll just have to keep lobbing the ball into the box to claim points on a regular basis as there are so few teams this time around who are good enough will the ball or physically strong enough.
    I think we can both agree, it's bloody awful on the eye.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    I think we can both agree, it's bloody awful on the eye.
    Dreadful, really dismal, but I expect McCarthy can't believe his luck. He inherited a squad that included Moore, Flint and Morrison, he has Pack and Vaulks to take long throws and he has a cluster of workhorses in midfield who will happily run around all day like chickens with their heads cut off. It's almost perfectly set up for his brand of football (and I use the term loosely). Meanwhile, the bonus for McCarthy is that most of rest of the division is hopelessly weak this season both in terms of physicality and actual ability. While it's grim to watch, it's all set up for Big Mick.

Dreadful, really dismal, but I expect McCarthy can't believe his luck. He inherited a squad that included Moore, Flint and Morrison, he has Pack and Vaulks to take long throws and he has a cluster of workhorses in midfield who will happily run around all day like chickens with their heads cut off. It's almost perfectly set up for his brand of football (and I use the term loosely). Meanwhile, the bonus for McCarthy is that most of rest of the division is hopelessly weak this season both in terms of physicality and actual ability. While it's grim to watch, it's all set up for Big Mick.
    5 or 6 seasons ago in the Championship there would be 1 or 2 sides at most who set up to play effective, 'percentage' football. The rest would be trying to reach the utopia of attractive flowing football with sound defence. Slowly you're seeing more and more teams changing to long ball, long throw-ins, getting as many crosses into the box, at the expense of sacrificing neat passing movements from the back. Whether sides like Barnsley, Birmingham, Millwall, Preston, Stoke, City etc. have decided their squads are better suited to that style of play, or perhaps success is more readily attained that way - who knows, but City's style whatever we may think of it, is beginning to have it's imitators .

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    5 or 6 seasons ago in the Championship there would be 1 or 2 sides at most who set up to play effective, 'percentage' football. The rest would be trying to reach the utopia of attractive flowing football with sound defence. Slowly you're seeing more and more teams changing to long ball, long throw-ins, getting as many crosses into the box, at the expense of sacrificing neat passing movements from the back. Whether sides like Barnsley, Birmingham, Millwall, Preston, Stoke, City etc. have decided their squads are better suited to that style of play, or perhaps success is more readily attained that way - who knows, but City's style whatever we may think of it, is beginning to have it's imitators .
    There has always been a number of sides playing direct football at this level, I cannot remember this time when all but 2 sides were playing attractive flowing football.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    Whether sides like Barnsley, Birmingham, Millwall, Preston, Stoke, City etc. have decided their squads are better suited to that style of play, or perhaps success is more readily attained that way - who knows, but City's style whatever we may think of it, is beginning to have it's imitators .
    None of the sides you've mentioned play in the same manner that City do.

None of the sides you've mentioned play in the same manner that City do.
    Yes they do.