Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
The crux of the matter is we play with a back 3 who can’t pass the football. They have other strengths but passing isn’t one and they set the tone in the formation we play.

What was evident to me first half is we could not get our midfielders or forwards into the game because the centre half’s were just hoofing it. Sam Bowen was showing for the ball and was constantly ignored.
100% agree with this. This is undoubtedly our single biggest problem.

Flint, especially, is extremely frustrating in this regard, smashing balls aimlessly into touch when there is a simple 10 yard pass on. People (rightly, at times) criticize the midfield, but when the ball is flying over their heads constantly, what real impact can they have with the ball?

As you say, there were so many times on Sunday when Bowen and Pack were showing and the centre backs would either shit themselves and hoof it or give it to the keeper who would then hoof it. And that's not me being a snob - there's a difference between a targeted long ball into Moore, for example, and an aimless hoof. We play far too many of the latter, and it takes all of our attacking threats out of the game.

I really liked the idea of Pack at CB for this reason and, as good as he's been in midfield this year, I think he'd solve a bigger problem playing in a back 3.

I don't really see Mick changing anything though. I just hope that the youngsters coming in can positively influence our style of play, rather than our style of play influencing them.