+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: "Giving the knee"

Heisenberg

Re: "Giving the knee"

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Swan View Post
    yes. History
    I'm just going to put up a statue of Adolf Hitler in the eyeline of your bedroom window. It's history.

Brb.

I heard the Moors and Genghis Khan were a bit naughty, I wonder if anybody will be inspecting any of their past misdemeanors?

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    I heard the Moors and Genghis Khan were a bit naughty, I wonder if anybody will be inspecting any of their past misdemeanors?
    Can we finish the Confederate clean up first?

Jefferson Davis is down and Robert E Lee is next on the list. It's history in the making!

What is the point of this blasphemy??
    What, the post he quoted?

Christ, that's some bollocks you have written.

Tuesday one of my customers was chatting and his local village " covid survival group " ( which has worked very well to be fair and helped each other out ) is trying to organise a " take a knee thursday " to replace the front line worker / nhs clap

I didnt believe him, so he showed me the FB poster

funny thing is, 80% of the village are retired and wouldnt be able to get back up, its all good though as the village doesnt have anyone that isnt white, so its a show of support

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    Tuesday one of my customers was chatting and his local village " covid survival group " ( which has worked very well to be fair and helped each other out ) is trying to organise a " take a knee thursday " to replace the front line worker / nhs clap

I didnt believe him, so he showed me the FB poster

funny thing is, 80% of the village are retired and wouldnt be able to get back up, its all good though as the village doesnt have anyone that isnt white, so its a show of support
    The other day I clapped for the NHS, sang for Wales and showed the knee, all at the same time. Then again I may have been watching Joe Wicks at the time..

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    The other day I clapped for the NHS, sang for Wales and showed the knee, all at the same time. Then again I may have been watching Joe Wicks at the time..
    joe does like his lunges

This tearing down of statues is appalling.....times were different.....
    Times were indeed different. As crazy as this might sound, things sometimes change. Scary, huh?

Racism may almost always effect people of colour , but its repercussions affect everyone

White people who stand up to , protest about or report racism are often labelled as do gooders, liberals or in the states commie Democrats

I think the ideal place for statues of people like colston would be in a museum with a detailed notice on the bottom describing their place in history and why we should never return

Stalin and Hitler were genocidal maniacs and we know a lot about how evil they were

But we dont have statues of them or dress up like them. Apart from neo nazis and members of the royal family

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    joe does like his lunges
    I hate lunges , prefer static squats against a wall

What are people’s thoughts about statues of the Roman emperors? Have to confess I enjoy seeing them despite appreciating the hard reality for most people they ruled over.

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    What are people’s thoughts about statues of the Roman emperors? Have to confess I enjoy seeing them despite appreciating the hard reality for most people they ruled over.
    Are the ancestors of the people the Roman's treated like shit still treated like shit on a daily basis ?

For example the french ?

Who else is bloody fed up with this???
    I have no problem with people of different race...but you cannot change history...it is what it is.
    Why bow down to a different race....white to black...black to white....whatever.

This tearing down of statues is appalling.....times were different.......you regret but you do not destroy.....
    If you are fed up with 'giving the knee' then I wonder how you would react to racism if you were a PoC

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Are the ancestors of the people the Roman's treated like shit still treated like shit on a daily basis ?

For example the french ?
    Well, the Roman Empire extended to 5m km2 at it’s peak across Europe, Asia and Africa so probably. But I’m not aware their slavery was ever selective on the basis on race though and all conquered peoples were really fair game.

Tbh, the discussion just got me thinking if I was a bit of a hypocrite as I was more than happy to see Colston end-up in the river.

Quote Originally Posted by adz-a32 View Post
    If you are fed up with 'giving the knee' then I wonder how you would react to racism if you were a PoC
    Quite honestly I would feel embarrassed. You think PoC (as you put it) never practised master/subordination in past history?

Quite honestly I would feel embarrased. Yoiu thinl PoC (as you put it) never practised master/subordination in past history?
    Look at the modern times, the effects of colonialism on modern society. Both in Britain and in international relations. There is a lot of discrimination and racism domestically and worldwide, many developed countries are poor because the European empires took their wealth and in some cases ruined their domestic industries

Quite honestly I would feel embarrassed. You think PoC (as you put it) never practised master/subordination in past history?
    If you were a person of colour and you were subject to racism you would be embarrassed?

Or are you saying if you were a person of colour and these protests were going on you would be embarrassed by these protests ?

yes i would....there are other ways to be heard, to get in a position of influence.

I am white...but when I see Caucasian yobs drunk in the street and fighting I feel embarrassed at the 'culture'.

Ones still happening now though.

yes i would....there are other ways to be heard, to get in a position of influence.

I am white...but when I see Caucasian yobs drunk in the street and fighting I feel embarrassed at the 'culture'.
    Well those other ways of protesting have not been heard have they ?

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    I think it's a pretty complex subject. Statues and icons erected to glorify individuals and regimes are often torn down by invaders or revolutionaries.

What we seem to have in the UK at the moment is neither of those. We have a glorification, rightly or wrongly of when Great Britain was the most powerful state on the planet. The empire that we created defined the multi-cultural state we have today and some of those honoured by statues who helped forged that empire look out of place in the Britain we live in today.

We don't seem to have managed that transition too well. Democratic attempts to deal with Colston's legacy on Bristol seem to have floundered, which must have been a trigger to his drowning at the weekend.

I think the Mayor of Bristol's response was the right one though to retrieve it and store for a future debate when emotions have cooled. I think the targeting of statues of Churchill were perverse. He may have recognised flaws but there are not many statues of Chamberlain and Lord Halifax about I guess. And it allows idiots like Yaxley Lennon to trigger his hits and mobilise the reactionaries.

All this bull about Pyramids, the Mongols etc should be just seem for what it is, Whatabboutery.inc. As should the outrage of someone living in the Dordogne who just sees modern Britain through the filter of the Daily Mail.

Who else is bloody fed up with this???
    I have no problem with people of different race...but you cannot change history...it is what it is.
    Why bow down to a different race....white to black...black to white....whatever.

This tearing down of statues is appalling.....times were different.......you regret but you do not destroy.....
    Just because people amassed fortunes on the back of slavery and used some of that fortune for good works doesn't mean that their statues are sacrosanct. Using your logic, Germany should have retained all the statues of Hitler.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Just because people amassed fortunes on the back of slavery and used some of that fortune for good works doesn't mean that their statues are sacrosanct. Using your logic, Germany should have retained all the statues of Hitler.
    Well actually it wasn't the Germans who destroyed them, it was us! lol

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    As should the outrage of someone living in the Dordogne who just sees modern Britain through the filter of the Daily Mail.
    I dont see why my location should prerclude me from having opinions about the UK, even if you do not agree with them.

I wonder if they will pull down statues of Nelson Mandela aka a terrorist from Parliament Square? or perhaps even those of Robert Mugabe.....oh perhaps only white people were oppressive.