+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: How Many Vaccines In Wales Today ?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: How Many Vaccines In Wales Today ?

Quote Originally Posted by Former Labour leader View Post
    It is noticeable, even on this MB, which is generally fair minded, very little credit is being given to WG.
    I realise I am biased, but I dont think it unreasonable to say that Mark Drakeford has made a very good impression over the last 12 months, speaking with clarity and purpose (which is more than can be said for BJ), yet the one occasion when he slipped up- I think he was trying to be too honest- everyone jumps on him.
    For years of being criticised by Westminster over Welsh NHS it is great to see things going right for a change. The simple matter is Wales NHS has been starved of funds by Westminster for years, but this time money has been no object so the WG and NHS has been able to do the job properly without having one hand tied behind it's back.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    +1
    I'm not sure that being starved of funds is entirely the fault of the UK government. Some fault probably but not necessarily the total fault although it is really very difficult to establish that point. The money the WG receives from Westminster is unhypothecated; that means they can spend the cash they receive on anything they want. When I worked in that sector many years ago money was often taken from one element of expenditure to fund another. All Parties would do it so this isn't a criticism; I'm merely pointing out that it is difficult to establish.

As for Drakeford making a very good impression over the last 12 months I think that depends on the individual's political stance. Certainly at times during the process Wales has not done that well especially in terms of the number of cases which arguably is due in part to mistakes made. This article here is a snapshot and is probably not totally representative but does show at times things have not been that great:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-55302591

What can be said is that the vaccine roll out in Wales has been an unqualified success which didn't look as though it would be the case earlier on.

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    I'm not sure that being starved of funds is entirely the fault of the UK government. Some fault probably but not necessarily the total fault although it is really very difficult to establish that point. The money the WG receives from Westminster is unhypothecated; that means they can spend the cash they receive on anything they want. When I worked in that sector many years ago money was often taken from one element of expenditure to fund another. All Parties would do it so this isn't a criticism; I'm merely pointing out that it is difficult to establish.

As for Drakeford making a very good impression over the last 12 months I think that depends on the individual's political stance. Certainly at times during the process Wales has not done that well especially in terms of the number of cases which arguably is due in part to mistakes made. This article here is a snapshot and is probably not totally representative but does show at times things have not been that great:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-55302591

What can be said is that the vaccine roll out in Wales has been an unqualified success which didn't look as though it would be the case earlier on.

The Welsh Assembly is nearly always slagged off and Drakeford is usually written off as a waste of space. He was hammered last month over that quote about holding back the vaccines. So I do think it’s only fair that he gets some praise for how speedily the most vulnerable have been vaccinated. As you say it’s by no means been perfect but he has generally been more cautious in his approach than the Tory Govt.