+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Hounding of Meghan Markel by British tabloid press is racist apparently

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Hounding of Meghan Markel by British tabloid press is racist apparently

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    The people that he invited to have a conversation about it with him
    Yes. But your saying “it’s been pointed out” as if certain posters opinions are gospel.

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    Yes. But your saying “it’s been pointed out” as if certain posters opinions are gospel.
    I see Gofer Blue has been registered on this board since 2009, so he should know how threads like the one he started here always end up - pages and pages of people going through slightly different versions of the same story, so I have a bit of a problem with the air of bemused innocence he has been putting over regarding the way the thread has developed.

I'd just like to ask a couple of questions. Firstly, isn't Laurence Fox implicitly accepting the concept of "white privelidge" with his I was born this way line? Second, regarding "uppity", can I ask what word first springs to mind to the contributors of this thread as the most likely one to follow it? For me, it's obvious and I'd be fascinated to know what those arguing about that word think is a more common accompaniment of it.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I see Gofer Blue has been registered on this board since 2009, so he should know how threads like the one he started here always end up - pages and pages of people going through slightly different versions of the same story, so I have a bit of a problem with the air of bemused innocence he has been putting over regarding the way the thread has developed.

I'd just like to ask a couple of questions. Firstly, isn't Laurence Fox implicitly accepting the concept of "white privelidge" with his I was born this way line? Second, regarding "uppity", can I ask what word first springs to mind to the contributors of this thread as the most likely one to follow it? For me, it's obvious and I'd be fascinated to know what those arguing about that word think is a more common accompaniment of it.
    Not bemused innocence at all, more frustration with folk who apparently cannot/will not see what the OP has written. I accept your point though Bob, this is often the way threads develop - I guess it's just very frustrating when I am the OP on this occasion!

Re: Laurence Fox: I think the poor bloke was simply saying sorry lady but this is how I am, I cannot change it. I don't know if he was accepting any kind of concept.

Re: uppity. the only meaning I have ever come across until this thread was a word used to describe a snobbish person. I'm sure someone will now come along and say that as a closet racist I would say that wouldn't I!

International

My mother used the word uppity about people when iIwas a boy in a time when racist in my area was virtually unheard of, mainly perhaps because there were no immigrants or persons of a different colour and therefore no perceived threat.