+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: When was the last time you handled cash (or got petrol)

Re: When was the last time you handled cash (or got petrol)

I can't remember the last time I used cash. Probably when I bought something on Craiglist earlier this year. I don't even remember when. Before this, I only used it when I absolutely had to. I usually carry it though. I've had the same $100 bill for at least two months now. It and rest of my cash has been sitting in a drawer for the last 5 weeks. I don't even carry a wallet now. When I go out, I take one card, my car key and a pair of reading glasses. I have a cleaning station in the garage where I clean everything before briging it into the house. Haven't filled the car in over a month. I think there's still over 200 miles in the tank. I don't even know how much petrol is at the moment.

Last bought petrol 2 weeks ago- £5 to fill the mower. Last used cash by choice in the mid noughties. I keep some spare coins in the car in case I fancy a burger from one of those car park burger vans, or to pay for parking. But that is it. If shops take only cash i don't use them. To be honest if they dont take amex I dont bother unless I have to- B&Q is ditched in favour of jewsons and wickes. If a tradesman won't accept a bank transfer and insist on cash i wont use him, but that is more on moral grounds than convenience. The only one who insisted on cash after the event never turned up to collect it anyway. I cannot remember the last bar, pub or restaurant that didnt take card. My local chinese is cash only but its rubbish anyway, so no loss there. But otherwise, card payment acceptance is so commonplace that using cash would be very odd. I cannot imagine how long it would take to get a drink in some bars if everyone still paid in cash.

When my kids are old enough to learn about money i will start using it again for small items - I think it is more likely to help them learn than credit cards. But otherwise I see no reason to roll back the clock 15 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post
    Last bought petrol 2 weeks ago- £5 to fill the mower. Last used cash by choice in the mid noughties. I keep some spare coins in the car in case I fancy a burger from one of those car park burger vans, or to pay for parking. But that is it. If shops take only cash i don't use them. To be honest if they dont take amex I dont bother unless I have to- B&Q is ditched in favour of jewsons and wickes. If a tradesman won't accept a bank transfer and insist on cash i wont use him, but that is more on moral grounds than convenience. The only one who insisted on cash after the event never turned up to collect it anyway. I cannot remember the last bar, pub or restaurant that didnt take card. My local chinese is cash only but its rubbish anyway, so no loss there. But otherwise, card payment acceptance is so commonplace that using cash would be very odd. I cannot imagine how long it would take to get a drink in some bars if everyone still paid in cash.

When my kids are old enough to learn about money i will start using it again for small items - I think it is more likely to help them learn than credit cards. But otherwise I see no reason to roll back the clock 15 years.
    Takes ages in some bars, you’re waiting there with the right cash but the till’s tied up because the on the counter card machine is busy. Cash every time for me, cards are a bloody nuisance. Lose your card and you’re buggered, this contactless thing can see you cleaned a bit sharpish by an unscrupulous type who finds it ( or has nicked it). Lose a fiver and you’re a fiver down, no big deal. Every card transaction monitors your every move Big Brother like, I’m sure this results in a bombardment of adverts on your phone, iPad etc. You know where you are with cash, when you’re skint you go home. No brakes with card payments, but that’s what the powers that be want I s’pose, people spending to the max and being owned, more or less, by the financial institutions.

Filled up Tuesday, well put 20 quid in to run about

Had cash handed to me when I did a mates shopping as well so Ive been using that since last Tuesday also, local shop and chippy etc.

More often than not though I use my card.