+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 14 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: George Carlin religion

George Carlin religion

I’ve tried for years to find a way to best articulate my feelings towards religion. It’s something that was forced upon me for years and really did mess with my head. Ricky Gervais comes close but this man nails it in a very small space of time.

I hope one day to sit down and respectfully discuss my views, and I don’t mean any offence, although I do hold a lot of resentment towards religion in general.

Genuinely interested in hearing people’s respectful views on this video, and boss man Mike, If you feel this needs to be shunted to a side forum then please do so.

https://youtu.be/8r-e2NDSTuE

Re: George Carlin religion

Without going too deep into religion (Is that possible?) i would say that coming from a religious household (My mother) Although she wasn't hard line. Taught me respect and discipline. I interpreted it into a way that suited me and my own beliefs both socially and politically ( That is allowed, millions of people with faith do it) I essentially took the good things out of religion and used them to my advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Without going too deep into religion (Is that possible?) i would say that coming from a religious household (My mother) Although she wasn't hard line. Taught me respect and discipline. I interpreted it into a way that suited me and my own beliefs both socially and politically ( That is allowed, millions of people with faith do it) I essentially took the good things out of religion and used them to my advantage.
    That’s a good point mate but respect and discipline can be taught without being told you’re going to burn in hell, or without any religious affiliation at all. My upbringing was much more hardline than yours, by the sounds of it, but I do get your point.

Quote Originally Posted by UNDERHILL1927 View Post
    That’s a good point mate but respect and discipline can be taught without being told you’re going to burn in hell, or without any religious affiliation at all. My upbringing was much more hardline than yours, by the sounds of it, but I do get your point.
    I was never told about hell, I don't think that my mother believed it existed, she was of the opinion that God would not hurt people in such a way. More interpretation, which is common for the majority of people with faith, and something that those who hate religion can't quite understand, or choose not too.

You have my Sympathy for what you went through, that was terrible. My experience was positive.

I find it hard to understand why anyone would follow any religion in the 21st century. I have friends who do and I totally respect their choice but it leaves me completely baffled.

My mother was the religious stalwart in our house as well. Looking back she personified the good things of the Catholic faith. She loved being a member of the Catholic mothers group, loved trips to Lourdes & Knock. A very calm woman, nothing seemed to faze her and she just got on with life, raising us and keeping house. She didn’t have much, my old man always tipped the wages up and we certainly didn’t go without but, in hindsight, was that to her detriment? I know it’s my Mam but if every religious person, and she was massively Catholic, lived their life like her the world wouldn’t be too bad a place.

One funny anecdote, towards the end of her life, St Alban’s church provided a mini bus to pick elderly parishioners up for Saturday night mass. When she passed away the other ‘bus goers’ retired her seat Its been a few years now so I trust someone’s sat in it now.

It’s been surprising for me, living into my 60s with zero interest in religion, then moving to Poland where Catholicism is so prevalent and sets the tone for daily life. Last week was a huge deal for Corpus Christi, the whole country shut down.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    My mother was the religious stalwart in our house as well. Looking back she personified the good things of the Catholic faith. She loved being a member of the Catholic mothers group, loved trips to Lourdes & Knock. A very calm woman, nothing seemed to faze her and she just got on with life, raising us and keeping house. She didn’t have much, my old man always tipped the wages up and we certainly didn’t go without but, in hindsight, was that to her detriment? I know it’s my Mam but if every religious person, and she was massively Catholic, lived their life like her the world wouldn’t be too bad a place.

One funny anecdote, towards the end of her life, St Alban’s church provided a mini bus to pick elderly parishioners up for Saturday night mass. When she passed away the other ‘bus goers’ retired her seat Its been a few years now so I trust someone’s sat in it now.
    That sounds just like my Mother, although she was very politically active in terms of defending workers rights, the poor etc. She once occupied the benefits office with Kathleen from number 62 over a dispute over money, took in my friends and showed them love and compassion at difficult times etc. I'm sure that her faith played a part in that, even though the men at the top of her faith weren't so interested. Wonderful woman.

Quote Originally Posted by Robin Friday's Ghost View Post
    I find it hard to understand why anyone would follow any religion in the 21st century. I have friends who do and I totally respect their choice but it leaves me completely baffled.
    Indoctrinate children with belief systems and you have a good chance of keeping a fair number of them in the fold. It's called indoctrination, of course - and religions would peter out very quickly if we were all allowed to be free of such dogma until adulthood.
    Religion is a fascinating subject but it's amazing how few believers are aware of the stories in their so-called 'holy books' were taken from even earlier religions. Tis folklore after all.
    Oh, and few believers seem to be aware as to how their tomes were selected, edited and compiled - and who actually wrote them.

My experience of religion was being sent 10 miles away to a Catholic school whilst all my other mates went to the local primary and secondary around the corner

And until at 13 when I told my old dear I wasn't interested and didn't believe in God being dragged to mass every Sunday morning which was a complete bore for a young kid more interested in fishing

It's clearly all complete nonsense invented by man to deal with the inevitability of death

Everyone wants eternal life , I want to have liz hurley feed me grapes and hoover but it's not going to happen .

I was never told about hell, I don't think that my mother believed it existed, she was of the opinion that God would not hurt people in such a way. More interpretation, which is common for the majority of people with faith, and something that those who hate religion can't quite understand, or choose not too.

You have my Sympathy for what you went through, that was terrible. My experience was positive.
    You're right. I don't understand how religion or the bible is up for interpretation. There's a doctrine and a book of stories and rules. If god is as described, why would a mere mortal think they had the right to believe some bits and not others? That's one of the biggest problems with religion. People pick and choose. And they flat out make shit up. There's nothing about abortion in the bible. But religious people are up in arms about it. Some of them literally break commandments over it. And yet no one wants to talk about Noah's Ark.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    You're right. I don't understand how religion or the bible is up for interpretation. There's a doctrine and a book of stories and rules. If god is as described, why would a mere mortal think they had the right to believe some bits and not others? That's one of the biggest problems with religion. People pick and choose. And they flat out make shit up. There's nothing about abortion in the bible. But religious people are up in arms about it. Some of them literally break commandments over it. And yet no one wants to talk about Noah's Ark.
    In my opinion, it's because faith means so many different things to so many different people. Education, social standing, being poor, rich, middle income, destitute, Mental health, social and political views etc can be and are a factor in how people interpret faith. I don't think that there is anything wrong with that, most people that i know who do have faith are quite liberal people. If i went to another part of the world that may be different, although i would've thought that there would be a whole host of reasons for that.

In my opinion, religious institutions are like most things that have way too much power, and it's the people at the top who need scrutinizing and criticism. The huge group of people below them (us) have no power, yet it seems to me that they take the brunt of criticism from people who are opposed to religion. for me, that doesn't sit too well

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    It’s been surprising for me, living into my 60s with zero interest in religion, then moving to Poland where Catholicism is so prevalent and sets the tone for daily life. Last week was a huge deal for Corpus Christi, the whole country shut down.
    We were in Benidorm on Palm Sunday, the old town ground to a halt with the various ceremonies, a wonderful procession began at the church, very colourful with parishioners carrying palms as tall as fir trees. A marvellous choir on the beach serenaded the sunbathers. We loved it.......meanwhile over the new town

Teach people that there is a pangalactic Big Cheese and some of them will happily subject their children to mutilation of the genitals.
    Still, it's no skin off my nose...

And now you burn in the crem, so at the end of the day it didn't really matter

PS I liked George's take on the Big Club (and you ain't it). I admire the way he could be funny and thought provoking in equal measures.

In my opinion, religious institutions are like most things that have way too much power, and it's the people at the top who need scrutinizing and criticism. The huge group of people below them (us) have no power, yet it seems to me that they take the brunt of criticism from people who are opposed to religion. for me, that doesn't sit too well
    Great paragraph. Spot on.

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    So a bit like Covid-19 then, maybe it should be reclassified as a religion?

I prayed for Gareth to come, he didn’t. God’s will be done

I prayed for Gareth to come, he didn’t. God’s will be done
    Somebody in LA prayed harder!

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    Somebody in LA prayed harder!
    Looks that way, bastards.

I believe in divinity but not a god. Religions are just human fabrications, sets of beliefs, stories and life tenets agreed upon by groups which can of course have lots of good take aways from as to how to live your life but fabrications nonetheless.

Quote Originally Posted by gabbsthenewt View Post
    I believe in divinity but not a god.
    Can you explain what that means?

I think religion exists, and always will, to keep the poor in check.
    Can you imagine the carnage if it was all exposed as bollox.
    There would be rebellion all over the world, with folk wanting there share of the wealth in this life.
    To me, it’s like an adult version of Father Christmas.
    A wealthy businessman will have his legal team go over a new contract with a fine tooth comb before he signs it, but will then put all his faith in some ****er he’s never seen.
    Bat shit crazy!

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    Well I think that is the winning card

Fry sums it up perfectly

Why would God create a world so full of pain and suffering ? And the only way to get out of it is to pray to him ?

Give me liz hurley feeding me grapes in a dress , Sabbath on the sound system