+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: People calling for Tan to go

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: People calling for Tan to go

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    How many other EFL clubs have a director of football currently ? - very few I would guess.
    You're guessing.

I know that Brentford have one. QPR have improved massively since going down that route. Basically every elite side in europe has one.

I think you'd be surprised by how many clubs have a Director of Football, Sporting director or a Head of Football Operations. Most successful sides nowadays have some overlooking the long term plan of the club. If you don't , you end up with a miss-mash of players on expensive contracts.....which is exactly where we are at.

I listened to the QPR DoF speaking on the 72+ podcast. He said that QPR were basically stuffed for a while because they had a team, after going through various managers over a few seasons, that were one, costing the club a lot of money, and two, had no continuity as a group. They are only now beginning to put together a coherent plan in terms of recruitment and playing style... and it's baring fruit.

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Wright View Post
    You're guessing.

I know that Brentford have one. QPR have improved massively since going down that route. Basically every elite side in europe has one.

I think you'd be surprised by how many clubs have a Director of Football, Sporting director or a Head of Football Operations. Most successful sides nowadays have some overlooking the long term plan of the club. If you don't , you end up with a miss-mash of players on expensive contracts.....which is exactly where we are at.

I listened to the QPR DoF speaking on the 72+ podcast. He said that QPR were basically stuffed for a while because they had a team, after going through various managers over a few seasons, that were one, costing the club a lot of money, and two, had no continuity as a group. They are only now beginning to put together a coherent plan in terms of recruitment and playing style... and it's baring fruit.
    QPR had Warnock as manager as well didn’t they, what a coincidence! What an irony that the manager most responsible for our squad of highly paid, unskilled giants on long contracts with hardly any resale value could end up being the one who gets the second bloke to have failed to sort out the mess he left behind the sack.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    QPR had Warnock as manager as well didn’t they, what a coincidence! What an irony that the manager most responsible for our squad of highly paid, unskilled giants on long contracts with hardly any resale value could end up being the one who gets the second bloke to have failed to sort out the mess he left behind the sack.
    Boro need to be careful or it will happen there to.
    Starts off with bargains then brings players in for silly money and/or on silly wages and when he leaves the club finds itself in a mess.

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Wright View Post
    You're guessing.

1). I said that I was guessing.
    2). I did say the EFL.
    3).. You have named one current Championship club that has a DoF and one that is now in the Prem. Hardly a massive number.
    4).. We are not an elite club. Apart from the top teams in the Prem, having a DoF is a costly extra and certainly beyond the finances of most Championship and lower league clubs, especially in the current climate.

Let me know if you find any other clubs in the EFL with a DoF. I am not against the idea of having one by the way but believe it is beyond our current means and that of most other clubs in our position.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    1)Let me know if you find any other clubs in the EFL with a DoF.
    Bournemouth have a Technical Director (Richard Francis) and an Assistant Technical Director (Simon Francis, appointed very recently). Francis worked alongside Eddie Howe for a number of years.

Coventry have a Head of Football Operations (Mike Reid).

Huddersfield have a Head of Football Operations (Leigh Bromby).

Nottingham Forest have a Director of Football (Kyriakos Dourekas).

Middlesbrough have a Head of Football (Kieran Scott - they poached him from Norwich in August).

Swansea City have Sporting Director (Mark Allen, also appointed in August) who is responsible for all of their football operations.

Peterborough have a long-standing Director of Football - good old Barry Fry.