+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Ollie Robinson/Twitter

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Ollie Robinson/Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Nonsense. He was 18 years old and he said some vile things in the public domain. He's representing his country and is now very high profile. What do you expect the ECB should do, just say that he was a daft young adult and that it's all ok now? He surely has to answer to what he said, explain himself and show that he doesn't think like that anymore. If someone of the same age in employment, higher education etc used those words, then they would be up the road, and rightly so. This bloke isn't being singled out, he's being treated the same way any of us would in our job if we used language like that.

I hope that it's all sorted out, that he understands what he did, explains himself and resumes his career, nobody should have to pay forever, that's ridiculous and a huge waste, nobody wins in my opinion. Stop apologising for piss poor behaviour, or maybe behaviour that doesn't particularly bother you.
    During the really bad weeks and months of lockdown we had "celebrities" queuing up to apologise for breaking the rules. Occasionally they'd do it more than once - Rita Ora for example - merely apologising for breaking rules or making offensive comments is not always enough.

These days, people who feel it is inexcusable to make the sort of comments Ollie Robinson did are made out to be the villains of the piece because they are considered "woke" - what sort of bizzaro world are we living in where it's the people who find inexcusable comments offensive who are put on the defensive?

Ollie Robinson is an impressive cricketer and I admire the way he has reacted on the pitch under pressure since the news of the tweets he made broke. He will be back for England I'm sure, but, to use the catchall term, he has been guilty of bringing the game into disrepute and should be punished - offering an apology eight or nine years after the event only after what he did has come to light is no defence and if people just thought about that, rather than rushing to make political points , they would see things more clearly,

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    During the really bad weeks and months of lockdown we had "celebrities" queuing up to apologise for breaking the rules. Occasionally they'd do it more than once - Rita Ora for example - merely apologising for breaking rules or making offensive comments is not always enough.

These days, people who feel it is inexcusable to make the sort of comments Ollie Robinson did are made out to be the villains of the piece because they are considered "woke" - what sort of bizzaro world are we living in where it's the people who find inexcusable comments offensive who are put on the defensive?

Ollie Robinson is an impressive cricketer and I admire the way he has reacted on the pitch under pressure since the news of the tweets he made broke. He will be back for England I'm sure, but, to use the catchall term, he has been guilty of bringing the game into disrepute and should be punished - offering an apology eight or nine years after the event only after what he did has come to light is no defence and if people just thought about that, rather than rushing to make political points , they would see things more clearly,
    The thing is, it's all white people who think it's ok for an apology like the one he has given, a bit like apologising to your sister 20 years on, because it was really you who broke her record player! Not a chance. The problem is that plain old sorry just aint enough. He needs to show that he isn't a racist, he has to do something physical, get involved etc, that's the same for all of us. No doubt i'll have the usual wankers on my case, trotting out the usual cliched, apologist crap.

To add... Imagine if this had been a young British Pakistani playing for England, And what came to light was him encouraging Terrorism, Hatred towards jews etc. on the old Twitter. I wonder how that would go down? Ahh, it's nothing, he was a kid' The P.C brigade are winning...

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    To add... Imagine if this had been a young British Pakistani playing for England, And what came to light was him encouraging Terrorism, Hatred towards jews etc. on the old Twitter. I wonder how that would go down? Ahh, it's nothing, he was a kid' The P.C brigade are winning...
    If anyone was found to be encouraging terrorism I'd hope they'd get a knock from the police.

Quote Originally Posted by Llandaff Blue View Post
    If anyone was found to be encouraging terrorism I'd hope they'd get a knock from the police.
    Nice swerve.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Nice swerve.
    His comment is beyond stupid, of course the reaction would be different in that scenario.

Quote Originally Posted by Llandaff Blue View Post
    His comment is beyond stupid, of course the reaction would be different in that scenario.
    Nice swerve.