+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Anthony Gerrard-Part 2

Anthony Gerrard-Part 2

City stuff from about 18 minutes onwards. Gerrard absolutely detests Malky. Decide for yourself if it's justified.

Re: Anthony Gerrard-Part 2

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    City stuff from about 18 minutes onwards. Gerrard absolutely detests Malky. Decide for yourself if it's justified.
    He comes across a lot better than in the first one. If what he says is true then Mackay doesn't exactly come across well, does he?

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    He comes across a lot better than in the first one. If what he says is true then Mackay doesn't exactly come across well, does he?
    No, he doesn't come across as a very nice bloke if what Gerrard says is true, and if Mackay did try stitching him up. He dislikes Mackay so much that he blames him for the demise of his career and his mental health problems.

No, he doesn't come across as a very nice bloke if what Gerrard says is true, and if Mackay did try stitching him up. He dislikes Mackay so much that he blames him for the demise of his career and his mental health problems.
    I think he might have a point, I just find it a bit odd from Mackay. Why didn't he just sell him when he had the chance? Mackay though was a horrible bully so it isn't a shock. Keinan, Gyepes, Quinn, Parkin etc have all said the same.

I think he might have a point, I just find it a bit odd from Mackay. Why didn't he just sell him when he had the chance? Mackay though was a horrible bully so it isn't a shock. Keinan, Gyepes, Quinn, Parkin etc have all said the same.
    Gerrard reckons that he let him go the Huddersfield because he didn't want him at a club where he could compete (at the time) Very odd, if correct.

Gerrard reckons that he let him go the Huddersfield because he didn't want him at a club where he could compete (at the time) Very odd, if correct.
    The whole thing seems very odd although Gerrard is a bit of a prat to say the least. I think people like Parkin who are black and white and just wanted to leave give it some credibility. I don't think he'd need to lie and why would Mackay make it awful for a bloke that already wanted to leave?

The whole thing seems very odd although Gerrard is a bit of a prat to say the least. I think people like Parkin who are black and white and just wanted to leave give it some credibility. I don't think he'd need to lie and why would Mackay make it awful for a bloke that already wanted to leave?
    The stuff about the play offs and the League cup final, if true about Malky, make him sound like an arsehole. Parkin really disliked him, as did Paul Quinn, Gerrard described him as a school Master.

The stuff about the play offs and the League cup final, if true about Malky, make him sound like an arsehole. Parkin really disliked him, as did Paul Quinn, Gerrard described him as a school Master.
    Agreed, that's a proper classless move. They really like David Kerslake .

Agreed, that's a proper classless move. They really like David Kerslake .
    Yup, Kerslake sounds like a bit of a shithouse, running about after Malky. I bet it's quite a common theme for managers to employ a bit of a sycophant.

Yup, Kerslake sounds like a bit of a shithouse, running about after Malky. I bet it's quite a common theme for managers to employ a bit of a sycophant.
    Find it odd that Holloway rarely takes staff anywhere. I bet that's rare.

Find it odd that Holloway rarely takes staff anywhere. I bet that's rare.
    Didn't know that-very interesting.

I have a hard time believing anyone would ever say to Anthony Gerrard "I wan't to build a team around you". I even have a hard time believing that Anthony Gerrard would believe that.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    I have a hard time believing anyone would ever say to Anthony Gerrard "I wan't to build a team around you". I even have a hard time believing that Anthony Gerrard would believe that.
    My memory may be playing tricks on me but wasn't Hudson captain and largely considered the best cb at the club anyway.

I'm sure a lot of what Gerrard has said is truthful, certainly how he felt.

Looking at how he has reacted to certain situations though, the storming out of the meeting room and punching stuff in the hotel reception. Even with the upset and anger he would have had from being on the bench for the final that comes across as unprofessional and you wonder what else there was he would have done along the way.

If malky was sat there I'm sure he would have had plenty to say also.

As usual the truth is somewhere in the middle.

Interesting piece in WOL...and Despite THAT penalty miss my memory of Anthony Gerrard is different.
    I had converted an old barn in Wick and Anthony Gerrard rented it for about a year. He and his wife were lovely, and he had big photos of his boys in Cardiff City shirts on the wall. For me a great guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Swan View Post
    Interesting piece in WOL...and Despite THAT penalty miss my memory of Anthony Gerrard is different.
    I had converted an old barn in Wick and Anthony Gerrard rented it for about a year. He and his wife were lovely, and he had big photos of his boys in Cardiff City shirts on the wall. For me a great guy.
    I don't know anything about him personally, although having just finished the podcast he comes across well and a very decent family man.

I actually quite liked him as a player, thought he did well at times and was a part of some memorable matches.

Never quite understood why he got so much stick for the penalty, some at the time seemed genuine in their belief he missed on purpose or didn't care too much because he supported Liverpool. Just ridiculous to think on so many levels.

Heard on there that he is going into coaching or management, or looking to, should be interesting to see how he gets on.

Good luck to him.

Gerrard used to try & hit an official or player on the back of the head during warm up. He failed 99% of the time. Just the once (at Reading I think), he launched one from inside the 18yard box & hit the ref who was just going down the tunnel in the back of the head, ref turns ahead, like what the feck .... biggest cheer of the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    I don't know anything about him personally, although having just finished the podcast he comes across well and a very decent family man.

I actually quite liked him as a player, thought he did well at times and was a part of some memorable matches.

Never quite understood why he got so much stick for the penalty, some at the time seemed genuine in their belief he missed on purpose or didn't care too much because he supported Liverpool. Just ridiculous to think on so many levels.

Heard on there that he is going into coaching or management, or looking to, should be interesting to see how he gets on.

Good luck to him.
    It's ridiculous. Even if he's a Liverpool fan, a League Cup win means very little by their standards. But to get a League Cup winner's medal himself would be a dream. He's a career Championship/League One player and very few of them have won a major trophy.

To be honest he does sound a bit like it's never his fault.

In saying that Malky has always come across as a bully to me and from things I've read so nothing surprises me.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    He had just won Hull's player of the season. Nobody builds a team around a centre back but him and Hudson were very good Championship centre backs and would have been a good platform.

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    Gerrard used to try & hit an official or player on the back of the head during warm up. He failed 99% of the time. Just the once (at Reading I think), he launched one from inside the 18yard box & hit the ref who was just going down the tunnel in the back of the head, ref turns ahead, like what the feck .... biggest cheer of the day.
    Didn't he hit the opposing team's mascot with a ball once (that was winding City fans up at the time)?