+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What a difference a day makes

What a difference a day makes

For those expecting anything interesting from this point, I'm sorry to disappoint. I've been looking at how successful Cardiff City has been on each day of the week.

These are the number of games we've played within the English pyramid on each day:

Mon 272
    Tue 567
    Wed 358
    Thu 34
    Fri 172
    Sat 3018
    Sun 115

Our win percentage on a Saturday is 37%. This rises to 40% for games on a Sunday. On a Tuesday we've won only 34.6% of games yet on a Wednesday that rises to 41.6%. Wednesday, Sunday and Monday are our most likely days for a win, with Thursday being least likely, with 23.6% of games resulting in a win. Loss percentage follows a similar pattern, where we've lost less games on a Wednesday as a percentage than any other day of the week.

Despite us having a better win percentage on a Sunday, we've scored more goals on average on a Saturday (1.39 to 1.24). Again, Wednesday is our best day for scoring, managing an average of 1.43 goals a game. Sunday has been our best day defensively, conceding only 1.14 goals a game on a Sunday. Despite having our best record on a Wednesday, it's also the day we concede most goals on average (1.48).

Re: What a difference a day makes

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    For those expecting anything interesting from this point, I'm sorry to disappoint. I've been looking at how successful Cardiff City has been on each day of the week.

These are the number of games we've played within the English pyramid on each day:

Mon 272
    Tue 567
    Wed 358
    Thu 34
    Fri 172
    Sat 3018
    Sun 115

Our win percentage on a Saturday is 37%. This rises to 40% for games on a Sunday. On a Tuesday we've won only 34.6% of games yet on a Wednesday that rises to 41.6%. Wednesday, Sunday and Monday are our most likely days for a win, with Thursday being least likely, with 23.6% of games resulting in a win. Loss percentage follows a similar pattern, where we've lost less games on a Wednesday as a percentage than any other day of the week.

Despite us having a better win percentage on a Sunday, we've scored more goals on average on a Saturday (1.39 to 1.24). Again, Wednesday is our best day for scoring, managing an average of 1.43 goals a game. Sunday has been our best day defensively, conceding only 1.14 goals a game on a Sunday. Despite having our best record on a Wednesday, it's also the day we concede most goals on average (1.48).

What's the percentages on Boxing day and New Years Day ?

We always seem to get battered

And what about Easter Monday?

So our best combination, when weve got 2 games in a week, is to have games on a Sunday and Wednesday, rather than Saturday and Tuesday.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    So our best combination, when weve got 2 games in a week, is to have games on a Sunday and Wednesday, rather than Saturday and Tuesday.
    No, this is clearly all just variance

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post

We also get battered on Shrove Tuesday 😂

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post

Boxing day: P 80 W 27 D 27 L 26
    New Year's day: P 35 W 12 D 5 L 18

Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef View Post
    And what about Easter Monday?
    Excel just exploded when I asked....

Excel just exploded when I asked....
    Just can’t get reliable equipment these days! Best go back to pen and paper, oh and you’re abacus,

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    No, this is clearly all just variance
    It's written in the stars. Every nineteenth Wednesday, at between 7 and 10pm, the Bluebirdius constellation from the Triangulum galaxy is visible to the naked eye, giving us the advantage. As part of that galaxy, the Jacksy star sign is most visible on some Thursdays as part of the Caravanadium constellation, while Wurzelus can be seen on occasional Tuesdays as part of the constellation Carrotus.

It's written in the stars. Every nineteenth Wednesday, at between 7 and 10pm, the Bluebirdius constellation from the Triangulum galaxy is visible to the naked eye, giving us the advantage. As part of that galaxy, the Jacksy star sign is most visible on some Thursdays as part of the Caravanadium constellation, while Wurzelus can be seen on occasional Tuesdays as part of the constellation Carrotus.
    I stand corrected

Quote Originally Posted by Malckent View Post
    We also get battered on Shrove Tuesday 😂
    That fell flat.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyncoed Slumdog View Post
    That fell flat.
    Yep just thought I'd toss it around.

We’re usually crepe on pancake day.

Boxing day: P 80 W 27 D 27 L 26
    New Year's day: P 35 W 12 D 5 L 18
    Surprised our Boxing Day record is that good Eric because it’s not a day I’ve associated with us winning in the twenty first century much - off the top of my head, the last time I can remember a Boxing Day win was over Palace in our Championship winning season.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    I stand corrected

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    We’re usually crepe on pancake day.
    FLIPPING right.

Surprised our Boxing Day record is that good Eric because it’s not a day I’ve associated with us winning in the twenty first century much - off the top of my head, the last time I can remember a Boxing Day win was over Palace in our Championship winning season.
    This is just games played on Dec 26th, not those moved a day for whatever reasons btw.

In 1999 we beat Reading on Boxing Day. Since then we've won 2 out of 21 fixtures on that day. Palace in 2012 was one, Coventry at home was the other in 2010.

Some stats since 2000 :-

Home games: 12
    Wins: 2
    Draws: 4
    Defeats: 6

Away games: 9
    Wins: 0
    Draws: 6
    Defeats 3

Team played most often: Plymouth (1 draw, 3 defeats).

Plymouth are our most faced opposition on Boxing day. In 7 games against them we've managed 2 draws and lost the rest. We've played Bristol City 5 times, winning 1, losing 1 and drawing 3. In the 5 games played on a Boxing day against the Jacks (all between 1983-89) we've won 3 and drawn 2.

We won 13 of our first 28 Boxing day fixtures, then lost 9 of the next 13. Between 1979-99 we won 10 out of 18 games, only losing 1. Since 2000 our record has been atrocious.

Mon 272
    Tue 567
    Wed 358
    Thu 34
    Fri 172
    Sat 3018
    Sun 115

Great research Eric, but needs to me more specific! We need the details on kick off times too???

Quote Originally Posted by cardiff55 View Post
    Great research Eric, but needs to me more specific! We need the details on kick off times too???
    I'm working on some correlation between clean sheets and the colour pants worn by the goalkeeper.

It would be no surprise to find out that we've won more games on Dec 26th than any other date in the calendar. Next comes September 5th, where we've won 13 out of 22.

Our worst dates are Jan 24th, with 1 win in 11 games on that date (a league cup semi vs Palace), and Mar 23rd, where we've won 1 and drawn 2 of 12 games played on that date.

What about November 5th? Must be a night of fireworks!

Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef View Post
    What about November 5th? Must be a night of fireworks!
    5 wins, 4 draws, 7 defeats. We've only played twice on that date since 1996, beating Palace 2-0 at home in 2011 and losing 2-1 at Newcastle in 2016.

2 notable thrashings on that date, losing 6-1 at Blackpool in 1960 and 6-3 at Walsall in 1985.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Cyncoed Slumdog View Post
    That fell flat.
    It pancaked!!

I remember us beating Man Utd on Boxing day at Ninian Park 3-0...think it was 1963........I remember because I left my sister's wedding reception in The Philharmonic in Cardiff to go see the game!!!