Quote Originally Posted by Cowbridge Blue View Post
My memory of Tapscott is an abiding one.

When playing for Newport County (second string) in a pre-season affair at Somerton - in probably 63/64, so I'd previously been a schoolboy fan of the great man - I was a midfielder assigned to keep him quiet. Clearly it was just a run-out for the Welsh international but I was keen as mustard to make an impression and felt I'd had had some success in sticking close to him and challenging at every opportunity. I was on his shoulder awaiting a City goal kick and determined to get to the ball first if it came our way, which it did.

He'd clearly had enough of this pesky youngster and as I moved in, his elbow came up and cracked me hard under my chin, leaving me in a heap on the ground and him spinning away with the ball. Nothing was said but I remember kept a discreet distance for the remainder of the game.
Nice story, not many people can say that they played against derek tapscott. Old pro's are like lions playing with their cubs when it comes to playing against eager youngsters. They'll let you get away with a bit, but don't get to confident or try taking the piss as you'll get a paw to the head, pretty much like you did!