Thread: Possible racist gesture from Cardiff fan

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Possible racist gesture from Cardiff fan

I've learnt a lesson here, it looked so damning

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    I thought there was always something slightly incongruous about it at the beginning but couldn't quite put my finger on it possibly the way nobody around seemed to bat an eyelid. but it was difficult to see what else it could have been before the second video emerged.
    I hope that guy has learned a valuable lesson to stick to the less ambiguous offensive gestures in future when dishing out random abuse to someone who is just doing their job.

That's the problem, I assumed he wasn't racist because the goalscorer was white so it didn't make sense - but didn't feel comfortable speaking up incase I looked like I endorsed it.

No doubt 90% of all 'possible racism' is racism and we do need to stamp it out where we see it but we're breeding a culture where if you're not showing to be fully anti-racist at all times you may seem racist, as per this example.

Saying that, i've seen some of the facebook comments following that tragedy of the boat sinking and there really are some horrible racist ****s out there.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    That's the problem, I assumed he wasn't racist because the goalscorer was white so it didn't make sense - but didn't feel comfortable speaking up incase I looked like I endorsed it.

No doubt 90% of all 'possible racism' is racism and we do need to stamp it out where we see it but we're breeding a culture where if you're not showing to be fully anti-racist at all times you may seem racist, as per this example.

Saying that, i've seen some of the facebook comments following that tragedy of the boat sinking and there really are some horrible racist ****s out there.
    The guy in question is also undeniably tittist though

Tony Jefferies seeking legal advice as we speak!!

I agree with this. Although I think it is nothing like 90%. I'd say the vast majority of examples (especially on the utterly vile platform that is twitter) is nothing of the sort, just the most powerful way to smear someone at the moment. It makes spotting and addressing genuine racism so much more difficult and people become scared to talk about the topic

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    I agree with this. Although I think it is nothing like 90%. I'd say the vast majority of examples (especially on the utterly vile platform that is twitter) is nothing of the sort, just the most powerful way to smear someone at the moment. It makes spotting and addressing genuine racism so much more difficult and people become scared to talk about the topic
    I think the vast majority of things on social media that appear to be racism are indeed racism.

Feedback

that's something that happens a lot on here.

Quote Originally Posted by Feedback View Post
    that's something that happens a lot on here.
    surely not wanting to appear racist is a good thing? I'm glad these days most people are aware they need to choose their words carefully when talking about sensitive subjects.

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    surely not wanting to appear racist is a good thing? I'm glad these days most people are aware they need to choose their words carefully when talking about sensitive subjects.
    its the knee jerk response that follows from many on here if you don't immediately denounce what they perceive to be racist/sexist/bigotry.

Q What do you call a Welshman with a stick up his arse?

A Taffy apple

You may think that's racist, I can't see how it could be.

its the knee jerk response that follows from many on here if you don't immediately denounce what they perceive to be racist/sexist/bigotry.

A Taffy apple

That's downright apple-ist, old fruit.

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    That's downright apple-ist, old fruit.
    finally, the moniker fits.

A Taffy apple

It isn't racist, hope that helps