+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Snowflakes want to ban Delilah now...jeez

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Snowflakes want to ban Delilah now...jeez

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    But all rugby teams used to sing it regardless of race until the English "stole" it as their unofficial anthem.
    It used to be sung in rugby clubs up and down the country post match for years (way before Martin Offiah) with bawdy pantomime like actions to the lyrics.

Re: Snowflakes want to ban Delilah now...jeez

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    It used to be sung in rugby clubs up and down the country post match for years (way before Martin Offiah) with bawdy pantomime like actions to the lyrics.
    You are correct, I'm not too well up on rugby folklore, and took it at face value when I read about it being started at Twickenham. The puerile hand gestures rang a bell, pathetic, but harmless. I briefly looked into the song here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swing_Low,_Sweet_Chariot . From my understanding, white people embracing this song is a positive thing. Just my opinion. I'm sure anyone who wants it banned has good intentions, but genuinely feel that, as well as being unenforceable, it's counter productive.

In 1939, Nazi Germany's Reich Music Examination Office added the song to a listing of "undesired and harmful" musical works.[6]

The song enjoyed a resurgence during the 1960s Civil Rights struggle and the folk revival; it was performed by a number of artists. Perhaps the most famous performance during this period was that by Joan Baez during the legendary 1969 Woodstock festival.

Seems the Nazi's were politically correct and Joan Baez is a racist?