+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Manchester Arena Inquiry: Bomber 'should have been identified as a threat'

Manchester Arena Inquiry: Bomber 'should have been identified as a threat'

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...ester-57511079

Manchester Arena Inquiry: Bomber 'should have been identified as a threat'

I can't imagine how soulless a person could be to carry out this act , knowing how many young innocent children and parents were at the mercy of this bomb ,

How you manage being a relative or a emergency worker called to this scene , is beyond my thought process .

Re: Manchester Arena Inquiry: Bomber 'should have been identified as a threat'

we know they missed him twice, a bloke sweating alot and carrying a large backpack, one of the security ( who was a 18yr old ) says he did not approach him as he didnt want to be accused of being racist and stereotyping the bomber

I wonder what it did to that guy, knowing if he had acted he could have stopped it

[QUOTE=blue matt;5198881]we know they missed him twice, a bloke sweating alot and carrying a large backpack, one of the security ( who was a 18yr old ) says he did not approach him as he didnt want to be accused of being racist and stereotyping the bomber

I wonder what it did to that guy, knowing if he had acted he could have stopped it[/QUOTE]

Life destroyed for ever I guess ?

[QUOTE=life on mars;5198882]
    Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    we know they missed him twice, a bloke sweating alot and carrying a large backpack, one of the security ( who was a 18yr old ) says he did not approach him as he didnt want to be accused of being racist and stereotyping the bomber

I wonder what it did to that guy, knowing if he had acted he could have stopped it[/QUOTE]

Life destroyed for ever I guess ?
    I'd say that there were a fair few more people along the journey that should've got hold of the bomber, well before this tragedy occurred. I hope his life isn't destroyed, because it's not his fault.

International

[QUOTE=Tuerto;5198925]
    Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post

I'd say that there were a fair few more people along the journey that should've got hold of the bomber, well before this tragedy occurred. I hope his life isn't destroyed, because it's not his fault.
    The problem with identifying these people is that you don't necessarily stop the attack you just bring the timing forward and perhaps change the place. Once the guy was inside the arena they were pretty much fecked anyway.
    If he has a button detonator the only way to stop him is shooting him in the head to destroy the nervous system as abruptly and quickly as possible. Anything less and he may still press the button even if he is dead, on reflex.
    If you recall the poor Brazilian (/) guy who was chased onto a tube train and shot. That is what the police did to him, and why they did it. He was both unfortunate and stupid, to try to jump a barrier and get on a train when there were armed police everywhere and London had just been attacked, but the principle of stopping the attack is valid.

But if the Manchester bomber had been ID'd in the arena, there would probably have been a disastrous outcome any way, for trying to clear people away from him without raising his suspicions would have been difficult at best. And if they had just shot him there would have been total panic and perhaps people killed in the crush. Plus police would not have had the means to positive ID the threat.

The real point is that he should never have got in.

The Brazilian guys (Charles de Menezes) didn’t go like that, it was all spin and pr by the police in the media. He didn’t run from police after they shouted at him or jump a barrier, it’s shocking what happened to him and crazy the truth isn’t more widely known.

Menezes entered the tube station at about 10:00 a.m., stopping to pick up a free newspaper. He used his Oyster card to pay the fare, walked through the barriers, and descended the escalator. He then ran across the platform to board the newly arrived train. Menezes boarded the train and found one of the first available seats.

Three surveillance officers, codenamed Hotel 1, Hotel 3 and Hotel 9, followed Menezes onto the train. According to Hotel 3, Menezes sat down with a glass panel to his right about two seats in. Hotel 3 then took a seat on the left with about two or three passengers between Menezes and himself. When the firearms officers arrived on the platform, Hotel 3 moved to the door, blocked it from closing with his left foot, and shouted "He's here!" to identify the suspect's location.
    Basically shot in the head at point blank range while sitting on the tube because the guy watching his building had gone for a piss and panicked.

Two officers fired a total of eleven shots according to the number of empty shell casings found on the floor of the train afterwards. Menezes was shot seven times in the head and once in the shoulder at close range and died at the scene.
    The mad thing is they let him board 2 busses and hadn’t worried about him blowing them up. The whole thing was ridiculous.

International

Yes it was but I wasn't trying to start a sub thread about him, I was merely pointing out the accepted method of neutralising a "threat" and what doing that in a crowded arena area could have resulted in.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    Yes it was but I wasn't trying to start a sub thread about him, I was merely pointing out the accepted method of neutralising a "threat" and what doing that in a crowded arena area could have resulted in.
    I always think it's a shame that bombers need to be 'neutralized' at every opportunity. It's probably necessary, but invariably their 'bravado' is due to the conviction they'll die martyrs either way - as opposed to rotting in prison for the rest of their life.

[QUOTE=Tuerto;5198925]

Totally not his fault, an 18 year old with minimal training is there to ask people to move out the way of the exits and not bring in bottles of alcohol, not take down an extremist terrorist laden with explosives.

[QUOTE=Tuerto;5198925]

Think your spot on and should have dealt with and should be held to account feel for that lad really do

[QUOTE=Rjk;5198983]
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post

Totally not his fault, an 18 year old with minimal training is there to ask people to move out the way of the exits and not bring in bottles of alcohol, not take down an extremist terrorist laden with explosives.
    Absolutely in fact I would not mind some legislation around those type of responsibilities , age ,training before an individual takes it up , they are likely to face all sorts of security /behavioural issues and that may not be appropriate for most 18 year olds age groups .