+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789

Thread: Emma Raducanu

Re: Emma Raducanu

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    Has anybody ranked 150 or below ever won a major singles title before?
    She's the first qualifier to win one, so probably no.

Forgot she withdrew from Wimbledon a few months ago too citing breathing difficulties…..which probably comes from adrenaline or being overwhelmed and not being able to get it together, which makes doing this in New York all the more incredible. Tennis is a lonely game, it’s just you and your thoughts going round and round in your head constantly…the ones that can control this go on to be the winners.

Absolutely incredible achievement, regardless of some of the stupid comments on this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    How is this 'adopt a star'?

The magic of her story is that she has won from nowhere. She was hardly known six months ago, when she was also competing in tournaments as a Brit.
    And she's lived in the UK since she was 2.

I think Wales Bales did.

Quote Originally Posted by Undercoverinwurzelland View Post
    And she's lived in the UK since she was 2.
    She is British as far as I am concerned. Just like Mo Farah is.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    I think Wales Bales did.

If some kid fleeing persecution and torture in Iraq or Afghanistan settles in Cardiff as an 8 year old , signs for CCFC as a youngster and eventually gets called up to play for Wales

He's fecking welsh

Ivanisevic was ranked 125th in 2001 when he won Wimbledon as a wildcard, but he was hardly an unknown with no experience of grand slam events.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Ivanisevic was ranked 125th in 2001 when he won Wimbledon as a wildcard, but he was hardly an unknown with no experience of grand slam events.
    Kim Clijsters was the first unseeded woman to win the US Open in 2009 but she actually had no ranking as she was just coming back from retirement and was given a wildcard (which put her straight into the main tournament missing qualifying) because she had, of course been world number 1 and was a previous winner of the event.

She then lost in the second round of the Luxembourg Open, and I read somewhere that Raducanu the other week applied to enter the qualifiers for that event.

I bet they will welcome her with open arms now!!

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood Blues View Post
    I couldn't remember her working on her breathing, so I went to the replay on Prime and timed the break in play

From the time she first reported it to the umpire to the time she went back to serve again was about 3 1/2 minutes which is well within the time allowed for a medical time out (which was in fact not actually called for a while until the medical technician had confirmed there was a problem and from this point it was about 2mins 30 seconds before she went back). After she had the bandage put on you saw the medic give the leg a final wipe over. The shot then cut away and and within 18 seconds you saw Raducanu walking back to start serving. At no point in the time since you saw the medic give that final check did you see any pictures of her "working on her breathing".

And just to confirm the rules about blood here is the Grand Slam rule on medical time outs.
    From the 2021 Official Grand Slam Rule Book Grand Slam Tournament Regulations
    Article 1 General Section W Players rest/Medical Part 3f Bleeding

If a player is bleeding, the Chair Umpire must stop play as soon as
    possible,
    and the Sports Physiotherapist must be called to the court by
    the Chair Umpire for evaluation and treatment. The Sports
    Physiotherapist,
    in conjunction with the Tournament Doctor if
    appropriate, will evaluate the source of the bleeding, and will request a
    Medical Time-Out for treatment if necessary.

If requested by the Sports Physiotherapist and/or Tournament Doctor,
    the Referee in consultation with the Grand Slam Supervisor or Chair
    Umpire may allow up to a total of five (5) minutes to assure control of
    the bleeding.

If blood has spilled onto the court or its immediate vicinity, play must
    not resume until the blood spill has been cleaned appropriately.

Now I suspect you realise this and are just on a wind up. Why on earth you want to do a wind up on this thread escapes me.
    He was milking it.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    If some kid fleeing persecution and torture in Iraq or Afghanistan settles in Cardiff as an 8 year old , signs for CCFC as a youngster and eventually gets called up to play for Wales

He's fecking welsh
    You could’ve just said Robert Earnshaw🙄

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    He was milking it.
    I know he was.

Just though I would give him little room for manoeuvre. Though I am sure he will find a way.

Or maintain a deafening silence.

being used to only really watching Wimbledon, I found the crowd a little annoying when she was trying to close out the match. the umpire had to repeatedly ask them to be quiet

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    being used to only really watching Wimbledon, I found the crowd a little annoying when she was trying to close out the match. the umpire had to repeatedly ask them to be quiet
    More rowdy than ccfc crowd these days….football fans a bit middle class

Is this a joke? I haven't watched tennis for years, but when the umpire requested the crowd be quiet, it reminded me of watching Wimbledon.

Seemed to me that a lot of them were more interested in messing about with their phones than watching the game.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Is this a joke? I haven't watched tennis for years, but when the umpire requested the crowd be quiet, it reminded me of watching Wimbledon.
    They always get like that a match or set point……

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Seemed to me that a lot of them were more interested in messing about with their phones than watching the game.
    Probably addicted to posting on message boards 😜