+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Roe v Wade

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Roe v Wade

Quote Originally Posted by AfricanBluebird View Post
    An appalling decision - and an anti-democratic one as abortion rights are widely supported apart from by a minority of right wing religious nut jobs. I live in a country where abortions are illegal and yet the abortion rate is sky high with lots of related health issues with women dying due to abortion complications.

We all know the Republicans are hypocrites and nuts, however, the actions of the democrats (to allow this to happen) is unforgivable:

Obama promised to embed Roe v Wade into federal law in 2007, but when he became President he de-prioritised it.

Obama then succumbed to the republicans when Justice Antonin Scalia died. He should have ploughed on and picked a new Judge but instead was bullied to putting off the pick so close to an election (a favour that the republicans didn't return.. of course).

Ruth Bader Ginsburg knew she had cancer and yet didn't step down when Obama could have had a Supreme Court Justice pick.

With another Supreme court judge stepping down that gave Trump THREE Supreme court picks!

Then the hearings... the democrats didn't push for a full investigation into Amy Coney Barrett's cult membership which is shrouded in child abuse allegation (the cult leaders she lived with) OR in fact her adoptive children (from Haiti) that she 'trafficked' to adopt. And of course their weak cross examining of Brett Kavanaugh who had been credibly been accused of sexual assault.

All republican supreme court justices picked since 2006 LIED about their intentions of Roe v Wade.

Centralist democrats are weak and useless and when Nancy Pelosi cries on TV saying it's a "travesty" - i feel sick, because we all saw this coming and the democrats have been so weak they did nothing about it.

The supreme court have already said they are going after marriage equality, lgbt rights and birth control next.

The handmaidens tale has arrived.
    The democrats are usually weak in the face of republican tactics, but I think this is unfair. Could Obama have 'ploughed on'? How? McConnell blocked it because he could and made sure he got his appointments because he could. How did democrats have the numbers to stop those appointments?

There's two parties in the US. One is very clearly to blame for this decision. It doesn't seem right to me to blame the other.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    The democrats are usually weak in the face of republican tactics, but I think this is unfair. Could Obama have 'ploughed on'? How? McConnell blocked it because he could and made sure he got his appointments because he could. How did democrats have the numbers to stop those appointments?

There's two parties in the US. One is very clearly to blame for this decision. It doesn't seem right to me to blame the other.
    Exactly.

Mrs Citizen highlighted this to me a while ago and here's a recent article in The Independent.

Anti-abortion police could criminalise period-tracking app data and search history

Apparently, data protection is going to be a huge issue in the USA and is linked to Healthcare companies (others will know more about this). I don't know the full details but we're heading in a grim direction. We really do need to fight this stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post

Obama made an election promise in 2007 that would enshrined Roe v Wade into federal law, thus removing the ability to challenge it as a precedent, which is how the supreme court works.

Obama could have also continued with his pick despite McConnell trying to block it.
    . You can't block a presidents pick, just vote against it at confirmation, and Obama could have likely picked someone whom a few republicans would have voted for, thus confirming the pick.

RBG, she could have stepped down knowing how Ill she was, allowing Obama a pick...

I think the problem is Democrats play nice and adhere to some standards expected in office... republicans don't. So I agree republicans are primarily to blame, the ineffectual approach and foresight of the democrats make it much easier for them.

Just imagine... A woman who seeks an abortion for being pregnant due to rape could be imprisoned for longer than the rapist, that is if he's caught at all...There is a 50.8% chance of an arrest for a reported rape and an 80% chance of prosecution (of the 50% arrested).