+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: If we appoint Michael Flynn

Re: If we appoint Michael Flynn

To be fair, Flynn was a missed sitter and a bad refereeing decision away from winning that play off final. I'd be very disappointed if he was our next manager, but at the same time I don't understand a lot of the abuse he gets. What the **** has Sol Campbell ever achieved as a manager that would suggest he's a better choice than Flynn, for instance?

If the club is genuinely putting all their eggs in the youth basket - and, more out of necessity than anything, this looks to be the case - then Morison becomes the most viable option. He knows those players best and they already have a successful working relationship. I don't know much about Beale but if you're going to take that risk and go for youth, then I don't see any point in looking beyond Morison for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    No.

Id feel better about him if hed won a promotion somewhere or had a team known for great football or had a rep for bringing through some good young players.

Saving County from relegation and losing play L2 play offs (think Kenny Hibbitt achieved that) and using resources to sign 41 year olds doesnt make me think he should be near the job.

Hes the last person I want as manager on all those in the betting. I actually would prefer Sol Campbell to him.
    What?!

Quote Originally Posted by FormerlyJohnnyBreadhead View Post
    To be fair, Flynn was a missed sitter and a bad refereeing decision away from winning that play off final. I'd be very disappointed if he was our next manager, but at the same time I don't understand a lot of the abuse he gets. What the **** has Sol Campbell ever achieved as a manager that would suggest he's a better choice than Flynn, for instance?

If the club is genuinely putting all their eggs in the youth basket - and, more out of necessity than anything, this looks to be the case - then Morison becomes the most viable option. He knows those players best and they already have a successful working relationship. I don't know much about Beale but if you're going to take that risk and go for youth, then I don't see any point in looking beyond Morison for now.
    What does that make Flynn unlucky not to be a league 1 manager? Still not enough

Totally agree.

Of all the names mentioned I like the idea of Michael Beale the most. Without knowing too much about his personality but he’s seemingly been successful at Chelsea, Liverpool and Rangers and has experience with blooding young players and worked with top managers. He would have good premier league contacts too. It feels more progressive than the others, which is why it won’t happen.

of the people we are linked with, why would we expect any of them to be better at playing a low block + route one football than any of the last 3 managers, who we've all sacked as they weren't getting the results?
    I see nothing to suggest that Flynn would be any better than Warnock, Harris or McCarthy. if we are that attached to that way of playing then bring in Tony Pulis, who has had more success playing that way than any of the others.

my preference would be for someone to usher in a more of a "footballing" approach, Steve morison's u21 sides showed that he can set teams up to play in that way - yes it's a lower level but McCarthy has managed t the top level and clearly didn't understand how to use wing backs in the modern game.
    I was most excited by Wilder, but that won't happen, some of the others have potential but Morison seems as good as any at the moment, if he does well in nnthe next 2 games then maybe give him until January? we won't be bringing in any new players so we may as well

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    What?!
    😂 Sorry Ive used Sol as an example to highlight how much I dont want Flynn.

Id rather Gary Monk as well.

But dont want any of the 3.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    All of those giant killing acts count for nothing then?
    Not for our job. One off games against weakened sides with priorities elsewhere.

Slade has 2 L1 Manager of the year awards.

Wasnt good enough. So why look at a L2 Manager with no promotions and no obvious credentials other than he managed Newport.

No.

I actually would prefer Sol Campbell to him.
    You really are clueless.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    You people?

What does that mean?
    If they give the job to Flynn I doubt it will entice me back next season . More hard working dirge football.
    "You people" being the Cardiff City supporters/CCMB board members who turn their nose up at MF.

I don't think his football is anywhere near as dirge as Colin, Bomber and Micks'.

😂 Sorry Ive used Sol as an example to highlight how much I dont want Flynn.

Id rather Gary Monk as well.

But dont want any of the 3.
    Big respect for your honesty and conviction

Part of me want to see him appointed just for the scale of internet apoplexy that would occur. But....

I'm going to go for the manager who keeps us up, gets us playing some footie and everyone loves so I can just say 'see, I knew he was the one'. I'm in the Steve Morison camp for now. Though I'm happy to stick by those principles I have others if it all goes pear-shaped (see, I can even swipe someone else's quote and re-purpose it!)

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    Big respect for your honesty and conviction

Part of me want to see him appointed just for the scale of internet apoplexy that would occur. But....

I'm going to go for the manager who keeps us up, gets us playing some footie and everyone loves so I can just say 'see, I knew he was the one'. I'm in the Steve Morison camp for now. Though I'm happy to stick by those principles I have others if it all goes pear-shaped (see, I can even swipe someone else's quote and re-purpose it!)
    We have heard Dalman etc., recently defending recent decisions and trying to give the impression that they have more knowledge than they are given credit for.
    If Flynn is appointed I would throw all of that out of the window and put it down to him being the cheapest and probably another likely candidate to be paid off within 6-9 months
    No real football understanding at board level. Please leave Morrison in place for a while.unless we drop into the bottom 3 there is no requirement to rush into this.

Interesting that Vaulks mentioned "A bit more detailed analysis of the games in training - trying to have a look at what we did well against Stoke and what we didn’t, where we can improve. Little clips in training to make things better" in the press conference earlier. Implying that there wasn't a lot of that under McCarthy?
    Hopefully we'll continue to see improvement tomorrow and Saturday, and Morison will really be staking a claim.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    You could argue that Potter didn't either. Point being that Swansea were keen on a return to a more possession and passing game. It's why Martin was hired.
    I was referring to your point about the Swansea way, which neither were.

It's not abuse on my part, I just don't want him, it's more of the same. When will we learn?

Quote Originally Posted by DubaiDai View Post
    Please leave Morrison in place for a while.unless we drop into the bottom 3 there is no requirement to rush into this.
    FYI That could easily be next weekend

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    It's not abuse on my part, I just don't want him, it's more of the same. When will we learn?
    Why do you say this?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Why do you say this?
    I have to explain why I don't want him? Why?

So, you're asking Eric why he wants you to explain why he asked you to explain why you don't like him yeah?....

Why?

I remember a time when people used to have reasons for doing or saying things. Modern times are much easier. You can just say stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Wright View Post
    I remember a time when people used to have reasons for doing or saying things. Modern times are much easier. You can just say stuff.
    Stuff.

Stuff.

More stuff.
    I would like to see us playing some modern football , Mike Flynn had Newport working hard and playing reasonably well direct football.
    Having watched Newport a few times recently , nothing I saw suggested Mike Flynn wouldn't be more of the same as Harris , Slade , Warnock or MM. We can forget surviving this league if we don't try and play some decent passing football.
    If however we do drop down a league I think Mike Flynns experience would of course help us to stabilise as a lower league club.

If we appoint Michael Flynn lots of fans may feel a but underwhelmed and worried .

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    Stuff.

More stuff.
    I would like to see us playing some modern football , Mike Flynn had Newport working hard and playing reasonably well direct football.
    Having watched Newport a few times recently , nothing I saw suggested Mike Flynn wouldn't be more of the same as Harris , Slade , Warnock or MM. We can forget surviving this league if we don't try and play some decent passing football.
    If however we do drop down a league I think Mike Flynns experience would of course help us to stabilise as a lower league club.
    I saw half a dozen games on ifollow last season and I think comparing the football he plays to MM or NW is harsh.

He isn't someone who is obsessed with tiki-taka possesion based football, but his side didn't play hoofball either.

A lot of people appear to be in favour of Morsion getting a run, even till the end of the season. Flynn would be a step up on Morison. If I had to bet my life on either one of these two keeping us up I'd go with Flynn every time.

I was thinking about people who'd fit the profile and came up with another couple of names .... a bit leftfield ..... Roy Hodgson was one and Philip Cocu the other. I wouldn't be blown away by either, but working within the rigid reqwuirements of VT I'd be more interested in these guys than maybe Steve Bruce or Alan Pardew.

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Wright View Post
    I saw half a dozen games on ifollow last season and I think comparing the football he plays to MM or NW is harsh.

He isn't someone who is obsessed with tiki-taka possesion based football, but his side didn't play hoofball either.

A lot of people appear to be in favour of Morsion getting a run, even till the end of the season. Flynn would be a step up on Morison. If I had to bet my life on either one of these two keeping us up I'd go with Flynn every time.

I was thinking about people who'd fit the profile and came up with another couple of names .... a bit leftfield ..... Roy Hodgson was one and Philip Cocu the other. I wouldn't be blown away by either, but working within the rigid reqwuirements of VT I'd be more interested in these guys than maybe Steve Bruce or Alan Pardew.
    If you had to bet your life on Flynn or Mick McCarthy keeping us up prior to the run we've just had I'm sure almost everyone would pick McCarthy