+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: How different is Bellamy's approach from City's?

How different is Bellamy's approach from City's?

Re: How different is Bellamy's approach from City's?

Wow.
    I was undecided before, but unless the Board think too much water has gone under the bridge, Bellers has got to be in the frame when Harris goes(which he will sooner than later).

sounds like he's getting some good experience out there

The one about the Cup Final is a good read

He's got no chance after the way he spoke about Malky.

I know people worry about his temper but for me he would be ideal to come in an change the culture of the whole club.

After how this season has gone surely it's worth a gamble. Unpopular opinion but I quite like Harris and think he's got a difficult job but I think Bellamy would be a lot more exciting and inspiring.

I still believe Harris will lead us into next season.

However if they made a change id rather Bellamy rather than other likely options.

I dont think Bellamy would come though.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    It just seems another case of a club which has all the right intentions once again taking the wrong move, and highlighting their lack of football 'nous'. Bellamy was effectively sacked on the here say of an ex pro and his son - bullying, favouring Welsh players etc, and one other parent. Bellamy has said it was like running a 'creche' at the City, and whilst there was bound to be a culture shock , this is a guy who came through Norwich's academy, played at a host of top flight clubs. I think I'd take his lead on how to run an Acacemy over a parent who writes to the club in an obvious - and successful attempt - to remove him..

Glad he touched on the Whitts booing against Norwich (Bellamy on the Premier League).

If you're reading this and you sarcastically applauded, you're a wanker. Although those fans have probably gone back to supporting their premier league team

I would love Bellamy to manage us

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    I know people worry about his temper but for me he would be ideal to come in an change the culture of the whole club.

After how this season has gone surely it's worth a gamble. Unpopular opinion but I quite like Harris and think he's got a difficult job but I think Bellamy would be a lot more exciting and inspiring.
    I agree...we need a new culture here....my fear is Tan let’s his pride (a massive thing with Chinese) mess with him and won’t employ him despite it probably being a good move.

We've got to be disciplined, structured and organised straight away. Look to play in a more attacking style, while also giving youth a chance.

We want to be effective, difficult to beat and good going forward: pressing high and winning it back high. There's loads of ways to score goals, I'm big on set plays, which has been a very successful avenue for the club given the players they've recruited over time. Fans demand getting the ball forward quickly and (want the players to) have physical attributes - some of those principles I will stick to. Ultimately I want to adjust the mindset of the players. It's not just one style of play; you have to find the way of beating the opponent.

For a club of Cardiff City's stature, trying to be in the Premier League is the ultimate aim. There's no given right to be able to do that. The club has had success recently and I think now they are looking at it a different way.

Can they find homegrown players to come though? Can the fans identify with those players coming through? I certainly believe in that.

It's certainly not something that happens overnight, so I think that's the long-term vision. The owner has put a lot of money in and he can't just keep ploughing millions and millions in, you want to see investment into the infrastructure of the club.
    Bellamy or Harris?

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    It just seems another case of a club which has all the right intentions once again taking the wrong move, and highlighting their lack of football 'nous'. Bellamy was effectively sacked on the here say of an ex pro and his son - bullying, favouring Welsh players etc, and one other parent. Bellamy has said it was like running a 'creche' at the City, and whilst there was bound to be a culture shock , this is a guy who came through Norwich's academy, played at a host of top flight clubs. I think I'd take his lead on how to run an Acacemy over a parent who writes to the club in an obvious - and successful attempt - to remove him..
    I agree, based on what I’ve heard from one or two who are friends or relatives of players who Bellamy worked with while he was here it sounds like he took a bit of getting used to, but they were very positive about him on the whole.

I agree, based on what I’ve heard from one or two who are friends or relatives of players who Bellamy worked with while he was here it sounds like he took a bit of getting used to, but they were very positive about him on the whole.
    For all we know, the temper may have cooled down.
    He came across very well in those articles.
    If there’s one thing that there is near unanimity on, it’s that the club needs a real shake up. It’s become like a piece of driftwood.

You have to win your tackles and second balls, something we are very poor at.

This almost feels like when Toshack offered his services and we rejected him!
    Whether a complete change of style is the right thing to do now is another thing as proven when OGS took over from Malky but most people seem dissatisfied one way or another so I guess the question is whether the club avoid relegation, wait till summer... RIP it all up and start again or now? ... Also being adventurous with an appointment like Bellamy and an experienced no 2 like Mark Bowen? Or going for someone already known on manager circuit?

Quote Originally Posted by billy.ronson View Post
    This almost feels like when Toshack offered his services and we rejected him!
    Whether a complete change of style is the right thing to do now is another thing as proven when OGS took over from Malky but most people seem dissatisfied one way or another so I guess the question is whether the club avoid relegation, wait till summer... RIP it all up and start again or now? ... Also being adventurous with an appointment like Bellamy and an experienced no 2 like Mark Bowen? Or going for someone already known on manager circuit?
    Reading what Bellamy said, I don't believe it would be a complete break away from the current approach if he ever took over, but he would want us to play more football and to be more confident in possession. For myself, that would be fine, there are positives to the way we play (Bellamy males a point of saying that no one would have liked playing against the City sides he was associated with and the one which reached the League Cup Final), but we've come to look laboured and uncomfortable in possession since our first relegation - having a Whitts in his pomp probably covered a multitude of sins before that though.

Yes, he did say in the article, he wasn't adverse to playing a long pass the right way not just lump it up the middle!
    The years we went up under Malky and Warnock, we outworked teams , we were hard to beat but did play some good stuff along the way. This season defensively we have been poor and have rarely pressed against teams from literally the first game.

Reading what Bellamy said, I don't believe it would be a complete break away from the current approach if he ever took over, but he would want us to play more football and to be more confident in possession. For myself, that would be fine, there are positives to the way we play (Bellamy males a point of saying that no one would have liked playing against the City sides he was associated with and the one which reached the League Cup Final), but we've come to look laboured and uncomfortable in possession since our first relegation - having a Whitts in his pomp probably covered a multitude of sins before that though.
    We're like an old couple you haven't seen for a while, and then notice how they've aged and slowed down, but they haven't really noticed it themselves..

I've found lots of these articles by Bellamy very interesting, particularly around the time of Jones and Mackay. Here, we had two contrasting styles of manager.

One, who could be strict but also let a lot of things go that perhaps he shouldn't. Inspired problematic players and gave them lots of freedom to express themselves on the pitch but lacked a professional discipline for getting his players to do the hard work. The other, maybe more primitive in style of play, but a hard worker and planner who had attention to detail and demanded nothing less than 100% from his players in all aspects.

Those are rough, basic comments about Jones and Mackay. I've always felt that history hasn't been all that kind to Mackay. Certainly, during his time with us he was a very popular manager, certainly more popular than Jones. My experience of talking to other fans at the time was that it was finally good to see a team that gave everything every game. Certainly Mackay's first season saw some great, attacking football and one of the best memories ever of that league cup campaign. I've always thought it unfair to castigate him as useless because of the Cornelius signing, or that he bought his way to the Championship title. Warnock, who arguably superceded Mackay's achievements, also spent lots on duds when we got to the Premier League. I have never heard of Warnock's style as a manager, but I can imagine him being someone who values hard work above flair, who works on preparation. Once the basics are right, then bring in the flair.

Clearly Bellamy sees himself as someone who would be meticulous to detail and constantly demanding of his players in everything they do. He believes that hard work brings reward. His opinion that it was Jones's lack of hard work in training and preparation that kept catching up with the team, regardless of how fantastically it could perform, and was ultimately why we never won anything with him.

I used to occasionally watch 'The Debate' on Sky. Bellamy always came across as one of the more thoughtful pundits on there. He knows the game, he's got lots of contacts at the top level of the game. He's reflective of his experiences and looks at what works and what doesn't. Being a 'reflective practitioner' is a buzz phrase that's been around for a number of years, where people analyse how they work in order to improve. Whether all that knowledge equates to being a good manager is something nobody will ever know until he gets a managerial position.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    I've found lots of these articles by Bellamy very interesting, particularly around the time of Jones and Mackay. Here, we had two contrasting styles of manager.

One, who could be strict but also let a lot of things go that perhaps he shouldn't. Inspired problematic players and gave them lots of freedom to express themselves on the pitch but lacked a professional discipline for getting his players to do the hard work. The other, maybe more primitive in style of play, but a hard worker and planner who had attention to detail and demanded nothing less than 100% from his players in all aspects.

Those are rough, basic comments about Jones and Mackay. I've always felt that history hasn't been all that kind to Mackay. Certainly, during his time with us he was a very popular manager, certainly more popular than Jones. My experience of talking to other fans at the time was that it was finally good to see a team that gave everything every game. Certainly Mackay's first season saw some great, attacking football and one of the best memories ever of that league cup campaign. I've always thought it unfair to castigate him as useless because of the Cornelius signing, or that he bought his way to the Championship title. Warnock, who arguably superceded Mackay's achievements, also spent lots on duds when we got to the Premier League. I have never heard of Warnock's style as a manager, but I can imagine him being someone who values hard work above flair, who works on preparation. Once the basics are right, then bring in the flair.

Clearly Bellamy sees himself as someone who would be meticulous to detail and constantly demanding of his players in everything they do. He believes that hard work brings reward. His opinion that it was Jones's lack of hard work in training and preparation that kept catching up with the team, regardless of how fantastically it could perform, and was ultimately why we never won anything with him.

I used to occasionally watch 'The Debate' on Sky. Bellamy always came across as one of the more thoughtful pundits on there. He knows the game, he's got lots of contacts at the top level of the game. He's reflective of his experiences and looks at what works and what doesn't. Being a 'reflective practitioner' is a buzz phrase that's been around for a number of years, where people analyse how they work in order to improve. Whether all that knowledge equates to being a good manager is something nobody will ever know until he gets a managerial position.
    Good read! I see the Jacks have just appointed another Cardiff boy as their Academy Manager Mark Allen who was previously in the same position with Manchester City and Rangers! That’s two local boys in charge of the Jacks, how did we miss out on him?

A lot you moan about players not showing up and giving 100%
    There can't be many players that would not give 100% under Bellamy

Quote Originally Posted by ToTaL ITK View Post
    A lot you moan about players not showing up and giving 100%
    There can't be many players that would not give 100% under Bellamy
    He wouldn't put up with it.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    The main issue we had while Bellamy was at the academy was that he was progressing possession football on the ground while the senior team was advocating hoof ball.
    One of the main reasons why no youngsters progressed at the club.
    I cannot believe that we are going anywhere under Harris and am not confident of the usual suspects being pushed forward.
    I for one think we have very little to lose by getting Bellamy

I reckon Warnock was glad/relieved to see the back of Bellamy, the one person with equal, if not more, status and standing within the game who was involved with Cardiff City who was liable to challenge and argue the toss if he didn’t agree with the manager.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    I reckon Warnock was glad/relieved to see the back of Bellamy, the one person with equal, if not more, status and standing within the game who was involved with Cardiff City who was liable to challenge and argue the toss if he didn’t agree with the manager.
    I wondered how right you were when I read this yesterday - having read what Bellamy has to say in the latest of the series of interviews, I'm more convinced you were right.