+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Marcus Rashford

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Marcus Rashford

Quote Originally Posted by Garth Blue View Post
    Probably those with gammon tendencies who say "Some of my best friends are black"
    why should people have to like him ?

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    Wasn't the post trying to understand the reasons why people really dislike him though rather than your suggestion that there is some kind of moral compulsion to like him?

What’s there not to like about a young man trying to do his best to make life a little better for poor and impoverished children?

They don’t. You’ve got to admire his stance and passion for supporting that cause though?

If he’s been shagging your missus, then I get your apparent dislike to him?

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    They don’t. You’ve got to admire his stance and passion for supporting that cause though?

If he’s been shagging your missus, then I get your apparent dislike to him?
    he's no Kevin McNaughton that's for sure

What is there not to like about Marcus Rashford? Among his many talents is, as far as I'm aware, maintaining a neutrality when it comes to party politics which shames so many of his elders, myself included.

I can think of three groups of people who would have an issue with Rashford - first, those who think he is making life awkward for the UK Government, second rabid anti Man United fans and third people who don't like the colour of his skin.

On the first of those, I'll try to emulate Marcus Rashford, by not getting party political and observe that it is incredibly bad politics for any party to have got themselves into a position where they are seen, rightly or wrongly, to have denied children of the poorest families the chance of free meals. The implication of voting the way so many did this week is that they think Rashford's campaign is wrong and the overwhelming majority of the country appear to disagree with that view - as I say, incredibly bad politics.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    What is there not to like about Marcus Rashford? Among his many talents is, as far as I'm aware, maintaining a neutrality when it comes to party politics which shames so many of his elders, myself included.

I can think of three groups of people who would have an issue with Rashford - first, those who think he is making life awkward for the UK Government, second rabid anti Man United fans and third people who don't like the colour of his skin.

On the first of those, I'll try to emulate Marcus Rashford, by not getting party political and observe that it is incredibly bad politics for any party to have got themselves into a position where they are seen, rightly or wrongly, to have denied children of the poorest families the chance of free meals. The implication of voting the way so many did this week is that they think Rashford's campaign is wrong and the overwhelming majority of the country appear to disagree with that view - as I say, incredibly bad politics.
    I certainly don't fit into any of those categories you elude to. Campaigns brought to mainstream attention via a celebrity are always going to put any government on a hiding to nothing, whatever the merits of the case. The govt. gave him an MBE within what seemed like days, yet Jimmy Greaves, arguably the best ever goalscorer in English football and is 80+ and very poorly, gets sweet F.all

I certainly don't fit into any of those categories you elude to. Campaigns brought to mainstream attention via a celebrity are always going to put any government on a hiding to nothing, whatever the merits of the case. The govt. gave him an MBE within what seemed like days, yet Jimmy Greaves, arguably the best ever goalscorer in English football and is 80+ and very poorly, gets sweet F.all
    Got to be honest, wasn't expecting to see the Tories get bashed for that as well. Can't catch a break, can they?

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Got to be honest, wasn't expecting to see the Tories get bashed for that as well. Can't catch a break, can they?
    I said the same to Lord Evgeny Lebedev just the other day.

The fact that your contribution to a thread about how Marcus Rashford is a good person for trying to help underprivileged kids is how unfair it is that Jimmy Greaves didn't get an MBE is pretty mad tbh

The UK honours and awards system needs reviewing. People shouldn't get awards just for doing a job for which they are often handsomely paid or because of a political party they belong to and should be about selfless acts to help others such as volunteering or using their celebrity status to help worthwhile causes.

Quote Originally Posted by PontBlue View Post
    The UK honours and awards system needs reviewing. People shouldn't get awards just for doing a job for which they are often handsomely paid or because of a political party they belong to and should be about selfless acts to help others such as volunteering or using their celebrity status to help worthwhile causes.
    The earlier comparison with Jimmy Greaves didn't work for me because, surely, Marcus Rashford's award was more for about non footballing matters than footballing ones?

It’s not a question of like or dislike, it’s the fact he deserves admiration for not forgetting his roots and his determination to help underprivileged children.