+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: The Budget

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: The Budget

This is a long thread for a 'kick the can down the road' budget. At least it settles the age old CCMB question, 'was austerity a political choice?', undoubtedly.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    This is a long thread for a 'kick the can down the road' budget. At least it settles the age old CCMB question, 'was austerity a political choice?', undoubtedly.
    I don't think there as ever a question about whether it was political or not. The questions are was it the right thing to do and did it work? The Labour party clearly would not have opted for that route.
    But as with so many things, like the way this pandemic is being dealt with, its something we will never know unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    I don't think there as ever a question about whether it was political or not. The questions are was it the right thing to do and did it work? The Labour party clearly would not have opted for that route.
    But as with so many things, like the way this pandemic is being dealt with, its something we will never know unfortunately.
    That doesn't make any sense if it was 'the right thing to do' then we aren't talking about a choice made due to ideology. Austerity was justified because of a deficit and its affect on debt, both are astronomical now and Sunak is choosing not to take such strident action (or any at all). I agree with their assessment now, but it bets the question what on earth were they thinking with from 2010-Boris

As for whether Austerity worked, they missed almost every target they set themselves to lower the deficit and ultimately debt.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    No and no.