+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Souness

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Souness

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    Yeah but isn’t maybe the case that a lot more people are interested in men’s sport because that’s what’s been publicised and reported on for all this time? So in ten years time and 3000 front page articles on the BBC Sport website later there might be a 50/50 split in interest between men and women’s? Not saying that’ll definitely be the case but going “there’s no interest in it” when it’s barely been reported on isn’t entirely fair. Give it a chance, it’s easy not to click on the things that don’t interest you, as proven by me never even knowing about the existence of those links until now

Also going back to footie, women’s football was getting crowds of 53000 in 1921, who’s to say where the game would be now had it not been banned https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-30329606
    Indeed, but that is the point; it's pushing an agenda when that isn't the BBC sports websites job. It may be the RFUs, or Governments, but it's not the BBC Sports job, when people just want to read the news they generally are interested in, and the BBC is failing there.

I love the excellent coverage given to the Womens 6 Nations, but treating Harlequins womens team signing someone as greater than all the other transfers going on is just borderline gaslighting. We know that people aren't as interested so why pretend they are?

A particular concern given this is the BBC is whether the News values is also influenced by other agendas, ie giving greater prominence to certain stories over others.

The reality now is that I probably will turn to the BBC rugby pages for news less and less, so no one wins (except Planet Rugby perhaps)

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    Indeed, but that is the point; it's pushing an agenda when that isn't the BBC sports websites job. It may be the RFUs, or Governments, but it's not the BBC Sports job, when people just want to read the news they generally are interested in, and the BBC is failing there.

I love the excellent coverage given to the Womens 6 Nations, but treating Harlequins womens team signing someone as greater than all the other transfers going on is just borderline gaslighting. We know that people aren't as interested so why pretend they are?

A particular concern given this is the BBC is whether the News values is also influenced by other agendas, ie giving greater prominence to certain stories over others.

The reality now is that I probably will turn to the BBC rugby pages for news less and less, so no one wins (except Planet Rugby perhaps)
    The BBC is funded by taxpayers , half of whom are women. Women's sports should receive equal exposure.

Do you know that there are specific websites, sections of websites and other media dedicated exclusively to specific teams and gender specific sports. It is not difficult to find these sources.

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Wright View Post
    The BBC is funded by taxpayers , half of whom are women. Women's sports should receive equal exposure.

Do you know that there are specific websites, sections of websites and other media dedicated exclusively to specific teams and gender specific sports. It is not difficult to find these sources.
    Thats a fairly absurd take in my opinion - so the BBC should be driven not by news or what people are interested in, but by demographics? So Manchester City winning a game should have no more prominence than Arsenal ladies winning a game because ha;f the population are female?

The BBC seems to be going down that route, and if it does it will spell disaster as it will just become irrelevant to most.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    Thats a fairly absurd take in my opinion - so the BBC should be driven not by news or what people are interested in, but by demographics? So Manchester City winning a game should have no more prominence than Arsenal ladies winning a game because ha;f the population are female?

The BBC seems to be going down that route, and if it does it will spell disaster as it will just become irrelevant to most.
    Yes and yes.

Money makes elite sport what it is. The billions upon billions of pounds invested in male football has made it the product that it is today.

The BBC is a public organisation and should be careful not to promote privately run organisations like the premier league more than they would the WSL based on the fact the PL currently offers a better standard of football due to decades of massive private investment.

It is funny how football is the game of the people when it suits people , but when it comes to matters of equality, a lot of the same traditionalists and so called working class heroes suddenly feel the need to dismiss half the population.

A lot of people on this thread just go to show that bigotry in football is alive and well.

What are you so scared of ? why can't you look beyond petty griped about the composition of the BBC's sports website. The content you want is there, just look for it and stop being such a "big girl".

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Wright View Post
    Yes and yes.

Money makes elite sport what it is. The billions upon billions of pounds invested in male football has made it the product that it is today.

The BBC is a public organisation and should be careful not to promote privately run organisations like the premier league more than they would the WSL based on the fact the PL currently offers a better standard of football due to decades of massive private investment.

It is funny how football is the game of the people when it suits people , but when it comes to matters of equality, a lot of the same traditionalists and so called working class heroes suddenly feel the need to dismiss half the population.

A lot of people on this thread just go to show that bigotry in football is alive and well.

What are you so scared of ? why can't you look beyond petty griped about the composition of the BBC's sports website. The content you want is there, just look for it and stop being such a "big girl".
    You are seriously saying the BBC should not promote the Prermier league above and beyond the WSL? The BBC is a news organisation. It's not the UK Dept of Equality, and if it was it would be going about it in the wrong way anyway.

I'm not scared of anything thanks. I travelled across the country to watch a game at the recent Euros. I have two girls I've introduced to football and I support the growth of womens football.

What I dont support - in this instance - is the BBC ignoring the news that people want to read or is demonstrably bigger stories, and sacrificing that at the altar of a twisted version of equality. It won't work and the BBC will only be weaker for it.