+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Who Fancies paying more Income tax ?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Who Fancies paying more Income tax ?

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    These are very interesting links.

The Laws in Wales Acts 1535 and 1542 made English the only language of the law courts and said that those who used Welsh would not be appointed to, or paid for, any public office in Wales. This language clause laid the foundation for a thoroughly anglicised ruling class of landed gentry in Wales. The parts of the 1535 Act relating to language were definitively repealed in 1993, by the Welsh Language Act 1993.

I lifted this from Wikipedia as I didn't want to re-write history (sic).

So, that's 1993! That's over 400 years Wales was subject to the whims and fancies of an English (London) parliament and Monarch (in this afomentioned case it was that role-model of a husband Henry VIII who kicked it off). So we haven't evolved and been allowed to develop as an independent country with our own language, economy, laws, taxes and parliament for 486 years!

In other words, we've been London's bi*tch for too long.
    It should also be mentioned that Elizabeth I passed a law requiring a Welsh translation of the book of Common Prayer after Henry VIII split from Rome. Soon after came a Welsh translation of the Bible.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    It should also be mentioned that Elizabeth I passed a law requiring a Welsh translation of the book of Common Prayer after Henry VIII split from Rome. Soon after came a Welsh translation of the Bible.
    Yes, you're right, but I'm not entirely convinced it was to preserve the Welsh language (which some believe was its major contribution) and it also required a Monarch to grant it. I think what's also key, is that while it's always stated that The Bible was translated I believe it was The New Testament from Greek which fits in with her Reformation agenda.

BTW I should point out that I'm not entirely religious or in favour of church integration of the state so I have no particular affiliation. Also I don't believe she or any other Monarch is appointed by God. But I could be wrong!

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    Yes, you're right, but I'm not entirely convinced it was to preserve the Welsh language (which some believe was its major contribution) and it also required a Monarch to grant it. I think what's also key, is that while it's always stated that The Bible was translated I believe it was The New Testament from Greek which fits in with her Reformation agenda.

BTW I should point out that I'm not entirely religious or in favour of church integration of the state so I have no particular affiliation. Also I don't believe she or any other Monarch is appointed by God. But I could be wrong!
    I've wondered if it was done to stop those Welshies from moaning. I'll need to do some research into it, but I'm aware that the reformation wasn't always well received in other Celtic countries and I can imagine parts of Wales not being happy with this new Anglican church. Liz thought of a way of making the Welsh accept it, by giving them a Welsh language service to use.

I was only looking at this from a historical, rather than a religious angle. Church history is relatively well documented when, in many cases, little else exists.