Quote Originally Posted by Helen Wiggy View Post
I love Oxford. I lived there for four years a student. The Cornmarket and Westgate Centre are like any city's shopping streets but there is plenty more. If you want artisan type stuff, go to the Covered Market or to Summertown in North Oxford, 15 minutes walk or 5-minute bus-ride from the centre. Walk from the centre down the High, past Magdalen College, over Magdalen Bridge, and you're in Cowley Road, a multicultural working-class area with lots of cheap restaurants, and cheapish pubs with happy-hour deals etc. Accommodation (permanent and hotel-wise) is expensive but you can live there quite cheaply if you know the right places (and the right people - there's a good community spirit).
There's not much happening in Summertown, unless you mean the town end, just a shitload of expensive houses and Peter Hitchens, enough to put anyone off Walking the canal is nice, and just south of Headington is Shotover country park, loads of wildlife etc. I was back and forth Oxford for 2 years. It's alright, first time i heard the phrase'Townie or Gownie' The A420 in to Oxford is great if you want to play road kill bingo, never have i seen so many dead Rabbits, Deer, Pheasants, Badgers etc. Probably shot by the locals