+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Outrage as stunning My City My Shirt mural is painted over

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Outrage as stunning My City My Shirt mural is painted over

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    It shouldn’t have been beyond the local McDonalds management to bring the fact that they were going to be scoring a PR own goal by going ahead with it.
    I bet the agency was using another subcontractor to prep the sites, someone else to put the advert up, all that McD's had done was to pay for X amount of hundred advertising spaces, they just couldn't know

as for the local McD's management knowing, most of the mcD's are franchises ( who might be owned by someone anywhere in the world, my local ones are owned by someone who has a few homes around the world, one is a massive estate in South Africa ) I am pretty sure he wouldn't know about the mural and I wouldn't even think they would know about the advertising spaces anyway

McD's are now paying for the space for the Mural to be repainted, which is the right thing to do and must be applauded

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    I bet the agency was using another subcontractor to prep the sites, someone else to put the advert up, all that McD's had done was to pay for X amount of hundred advertising spaces, they just couldn't know

as for the local McD's management knowing, most of the mcD's are franchises ( who might be owned by someone anywhere in the world, my local ones are owned by someone who has a few homes around the world, one is a massive estate in South Africa ) I am pretty sure he wouldn't know about the mural and I wouldn't even think they would know about the advertising spaces anyway

McD's are now paying for the space for the Mural to be repainted, which is the right thing to do and must be applauded
    And its transpired that the original artist who painted the mural is part of the team over painting it, they cleary weren't that bothered abut it or they'd have stopped it before it became a problem! Sounds like a manufactured situation to create a news story tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by cityhammer View Post
    And its transpired that the original artist who painted the mural is part of the team over painting it, they cleary weren't that bothered abut it or they'd have stopped it before it became a problem! Sounds like a manufactured situation to create a news story tbh.
    The original artist isn't over painting it, he's re-painting the original piece and I doubt he'd have been over the moon to see his work rollered over but that's part of the risk for all street artists. He'll get paid by McDonalds I suspect which won't be unwelcome. If it is a manufactured story, then the only people gaining anything out of this will be McDonalds themselves.

I'd like to see lottey funding for these kinds of projects and for Cardiff Council to prioritise and help preserve them. Just remember our own club didn't support this (they were asked to) otherwise they'd have been stakeholders and would have been in the loop.

After recent events at Bristol, our history that follows us around like a bad smell, and our awful season, we need all the PR help we can get.

So you’re saying an individual McDonalds has no one in charge on the premises and they’re ordered about by faceless owners from other parts of the world who don’t know the first thing abiut individual stores? There has to be some sort of chain of command in every McDonalde and those in charge in the area should have been able to point out to someone that they were committing a big PR gaffe

So you’re saying an individual McDonalds has no one in charge on the premises and they’re ordered about by faceless owners from other parts of the world who don’t know the first thing abiut individual stores? There has to be some sort of chain of command in every McDonalde and those in charge in the area should have been able to point out to someone that they were committing a big PR gaffe
    McDonalds is a franchise business.

Quote Originally Posted by lisvaneblue View Post
    McDonalds is a franchise business.
    So if you work in a McDonalds and you see something in your area which threatens to reflect badly on the company being mooted or happening, you have nowhere to go to make your concerns known?

So if you work in a McDonalds and you see something in your area which threatens to reflect badly on the company being mooted or happening, you have nowhere to go to make your concerns known?
    Of course that's not so and the proof is that once they knew Macs did something about it.

From press reports Yusuf, the artist, was given the space for six months for a nominal fee from the ad agency that owns the advertising rights to the wall. They then extended because of lack of demand for the space due to Covid.
    Macs then took the space and I've no doubt knew nothing about the sensitivity of the artwork.
    The advertising agency owns the space not Macs. Additionally even though Macs are now paying to have it replaced they had only leased the wall for three weeks and after that the agency has leased it to someone else.
    So it could be that it will be wiped again after that time.

Of course that's not so and the proof is that once they knew Macs did something about it.

From press reports Yusuf, the artist, was given the space for six months for a nominal fee from the ad agency that owns the advertising rights to the wall. They then extended because of lack of demand for the space due to Covid.
    Macs then took the space and I've no doubt knew nothing about the sensitivity of the artwork.
    The advertising agency owns the space not Macs. Additionally even though Macs are now paying to have it replaced they had only leased the wall for three weeks and after that the agency has leased it to someone else.
    It takes more energy to post on here than it does to contact the club, council, lottery fund, supporters trust, etc. asking them to support this and come to an arrangement with the owners of the 'advertising space'.

We're supposed to be all on the same side so let's show some solidarity and fire off a load of emails (costs f*ck all to do)
    to try and make this an iconic piece of Cardiff. Or don't. But what's the point of sniping on here when something more constructive can be done?

Over and out on this.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    It takes more energy to post on here than it does to contact the club, council, lottery fund, supporters trust, etc. asking them to support this and come to an arrangement with the owners of the 'advertising space'.

We're supposed to be all on the same side so let's show some solidarity and fire off a load of emails (costs f*ck all to do)
    to try and make this an iconic piece of Cardiff. Or don't. But what's the point of sniping on here when something more constructive can be done?

Over and out on this.
    If the club have already distanced themselves from this mural, I don't see a long term future for this.

Council won't get involved, neither will the lottery (IMO)

I think it's fair that corporate McDonalds would be sensitive to adverse public opinion and their PR department would move swiftly to rectify things which seems to have happened here.

One small anecdote in support of this.

A friend of mine works for an agricultural consultancy. They were commissioned by Mcdonalds to undertake a study of the potential for increasing palm oil extraction in Indonesia. He was given one simple warning though "Do not f*ck with the orang-utang". That is is any of your recommendations or analysis looks like threatening the orang-utangs habitat you are toast as we will not tolerate the adverse publicity.

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    I think it's fair that corporate McDonalds would be sensitive to adverse public opinion and their PR department would move swiftly to rectify things which seems to have happened here.

One small anecdote in support of this.

A friend of mine works for an agricultural consultancy. They were commissioned by Mcdonalds to undertake a study of the potential for increasing palm oil extraction in Indonesia. He was given one simple warning though "Do not f*ck with the orang-utang". That is is any of your recommendations or analysis looks like threatening the orang-utangs habitat you are toast as we will not tolerate the adverse publicity.
    McDonald's in hours already sorted the PR issue.

They are a very careful company and very good. Some of this new age social media marketing with crap meme's and unfunny/off colour jokes are absolutely turd.

So what happens then if you work in McDonalds and you think something like this should be nipped in the bud because it's potentially damaging to the company??

How much would it cost to buy, not rent, the advertising space, because I would be willing to make a contribution towards keeping it for the public to enjoy instead of being at the whim of money men?

So what happens then if you work in McDonalds and you think something like this should be nipped in the bud because it's potentially damaging to the company??

How much would it cost to buy, not rent, the advertising space, because I would be willing to make a contribution towards keeping it for the public to enjoy instead of being at the whim of money men?
    I would be surprised if anyone can buy (rather than lease/hire) the surface of an end of a building that has an owner.

We dont have proof though do we, infact here is the Job Foreman posing for a picture, Im not saying McD's knew what was going on or not though

54f94f7670901_-_ronald-mcdonald-makeover-del0414.jpg

We dont have proof though do we, infact here is the Job Foreman posing for a picture, Im not saying McD's knew what was going on or not though

54f94f7670901_-_ronald-mcdonald-makeover-del0414.jpg
    Macs say that they wanted the mural replaced this week but those in charge of the project were looking for a new site??

Did you miss the bit about the original artist being part of the tea painting river it? why didnt he raise the issue with McD's? they clearly didnt care about their own artwork!