+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Will/Can respect come back for differing opinions?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Will/Can respect come back for differing opinions?

Quote Originally Posted by TISS View Post
    As I said to Eric, your response is symptomatic of the problem. You just cannot countenance that someone disagrees with you and you feel you have to point out theirs purported failings.

If someone is offended, so what? What does it actually mean - do they develop brain cancer as a result? no, they've let words affect them. Words. If you need to grab your breathe or have a sit down after someone has referred to you in a pejorative manner, then the issue really is with you.

I'll tell you what hurts - a kick in the bollocks, watching a loved one die, having inoperable cancer. They hurt but words themselves do not. you give words whatever meaning you want and you can choose to be affected by them, or you can choose to give them the merit they deserve.

If you're easily offended then the issue is with you, and not everyone else.
    I just think you can't see the difference between things that genuinley deserve people to get pushed back on. If we took your attitude to everything progress would never be made because anyone taking umbridge with anything would just be labled as taking offense.

Look throughout history and how progress has been made and how we slipped into dangerous times.

The Nazi's started by putting out propaganda saying all jews weren't human. Years before anyone stated arresting and killing jewish people. Just harmless bits of papers with Jewish people drawn as animals. Why are people offended by this, it's only words.

There is no harm in pushing back to people who are making others less free, have you ever read about the paradox of freedom?

I agree there is needless outrage but there always has been, but certain things need to be shouted down. It isn't because people are offended it's because it's the right thing to do. The strange thing is the pointless outrage usually comes from people who have your attitude.

People getting wound up by an asian person winning bake off. People getting offended by Sainsbury's havng black people in their advert, people getting offendedby divali decorations, people getting offended because they rightly get shouted down for saying something sexist, racist or homophobic.

Feedback

Re: Will/Can respect come back for differing opinions?

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    I just think you can't see the difference between things that genuinley deserve people to get pushed back on. If we took your attitude to everything progress would never be made because anyone taking umbridge with anything would just be labled as taking offense.
    that's just not true, no one is advocating allowing misdeeds to go unpunished.

NB I'm surprised someone with your purported intellect cannot spell umbrage, unless of course we've all been spelling it incorrectly all along. Who knows with the way your own mind works.

Look throughout history and how progress has been made and how we slipped into dangerous times.

The Nazi's started by putting out propaganda saying all jews weren't human. Years before anyone stated arresting and killing jewish people. Just harmless bits of papers with Jewish people drawn as animals. Why are people offended by this, it's only words.
    Godwin's law.

just so we know, who is currently saying X demographic aren't human....

There is no harm in pushing back to people who are making others less free, have you ever read about the paradox of freedom?
    are you suggesting that being called poof etc makes the gay community feel like their freedoms are being eroded?

I agree there is needless outrage but there always has been, but certain things need to be shouted down. It isn't because people are offended it's because it's the right thing to do. The strange thing is the pointless outrage usually comes from people who have your attitude.
    my issue is with the woke generation who feel the need to complain on behalf of everyone else, the majority of which don't actually feel offended by the purported offence.

People getting wound up by an asian person winning bake off.
    yep, those that do are *****, what is your point

People getting offended by Sainsbury's havng black people in their advert
    as above

people getting offendedby divali decorations
    again, they're advertising themselves as ***** and doing the rest of us a favour so we know to avoid them.

people getting offended because they rightly get shouted down for saying something sexist, racist or homophobic.
    what do words really matter. ever heard you're judged by deeds not words...