+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: FT: CARDIFF CITY 1 - 2 WATFORD. Match thread

Re: FT: CARDIFF CITY 1 - 2 WATFORD. Match thread

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    We had two central defenders out there who don't really like going for the first ball, NG and Kipre are 2nd ball defenders, they're not that physical or good in the air, both have a little pace and would probably prefer to pick up the scraps, 2nd balls etc. Those two didn't work tonight against a physical outfit like Watford, but what do we do-Put Nelson back in? He's a league 1 player.
    Give Sean Morrison a new contract? Although I thought he looked over the hill last season and that was before he did his ACL.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    I don't have too many complaints to be honest. I thought Watford were the better team, but they didn't outclass us. Without Robinson, we've got almost nothing up front. I thought Philogene and Ojo linked up well. Our defence is suspect, our midfield is shapeless. Having, said that, I still think that two or maybe three players could completely turn this team around.
    I actually thought Watford looked their worst after they took the lead but I don't believe that was down to us. They just seemed to look sloppy and complacent after their 2nd but defended/blocked well.

How long have we been saying one or two players will make all the difference?

Defence is so lightweight this season for sure.

Re: CARDIFF CITY v WATFORD. Match thread

We had two central defenders out there who don't really like going for the first ball, NG and Kipre are 2nd ball defenders, they're not that physical or good in the air, both have a little pace and would probably prefer to pick up the scraps, 2nd balls etc. Those two didn't work tonight against a physical outfit like Watford, but what do we do-Put Nelson back in? He's a league 1 player.
    We have no-one to replace them with. We'd have to wait until January.

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    Give Sean Morrison a new contract? Although I thought he looked over the hill last season and that was before he did his ACL.
    Yeah, it's not looking good in that area. Got to win the first balls and contest set pieces, call me old fashioned and all that. Kipre is a bargain basement sol Campbell, and NG aint a central defender against that type of opposition. Not his fault.

Kipre is a unit, but he doesn't half go missing defensively on set pieces which is very strange. Ng is a good player, but probably a full back in a back 4 and the third CB in a back 5 where you can hide his lack of height and physicality a bit more. A back five would also give Nkounkou (who seems undroppable for some reason) much less defensive responsibility and you could play Simpson or Nelson as well, it would seem to be our logical best formation other than the fact you'd have to put O'Dowda out of position somewhere.

The fact that we haven't been able to improve at set pieces spoils a decent defensive record but probably not hard to understand when you look how this squad was constructed... just not a lot of height or aerial ability, which is how Morison wanted to set it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    We have no-one to replace them with. We'd have to wait until January.
    What happened to that big lump of a lad we got from Ipswich-the one who couldn't move his feet quick enough in the box and got himself in some terrible positions. He'll do...

Quote Originally Posted by LA Bluebird View Post
    Kipre is a unit, but he doesn't half go missing defensively on set pieces which is very strange. Ng is a good player, but probably a full back in a back 4 and the third CB in a back 5 where you can hide his lack of height and physicality a bit more. A back five would also give Nkounkou (who seems undroppable for some reason) much less defensive responsibility and you could play Simpson or Nelson as well, it would seem to be our logical best formation other than the fact you'd have to put O'Dowda out of position somewhere.

The fact that we haven't been able to improve at set pieces spoils a decent defensive record but probably not hard to understand when you look how this squad was constructed... just not a lot of height or aerial ability, which is how Morison wanted to set it up.
    Good post, i'd forgotten about Simpson, thanks for that

What happened to that big lump of a lad we got from Ipswich-the one who couldn't move his feet quick enough in the box and got himself in some terrible positions. He'll do...
    McGuinness? He was on the up last season but we've shipped him out on loan.

Edit: scored a lot of OGs if I remember.

Good post, i'd forgotten about Simpson, thanks for that
    I do wonder what the point of Simpson was.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    I do wonder what the point of Simpson was.
    I'd say that's a fair assessment.

McGuinness? He was on the up last season but we've shipped him out on loan.

Edit: scored a lot of OGs if I remember.
    Listen, he was good in the air. Just keep the ball away from his feet.

We are in serious trouble. The current squad is likely to go down.

I cant be too critical of the players tonight. Thats just how good they are. They had a go just miles behind Watfords ability.

We are sort of trying to play more football but just are not good at it hence we create next to nothing.

However we now also have no physicalilty and are useless at defending and attacking set pieces.

Its awful to watch. Morisons window was a disaster. Tonight only Philogene and Ralls looked like good Championship players.

We need new players in January and to scrape together as many points as we can.

I'd say that's a fair assessment.

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    awesome...give him a new contract but you think he's shit,,are you available to our new manager ?

It's no good trying to get this side to play our way out of trouble

We have certainly changed our side but we don't have the skills level

It's time to get stuck in

Even then we might go down but at the moment we are sinking into league 1

I cant be too critical of the players tonight. Thats just how good they are. They had a go just miles behind Watfords ability.

We are sort of trying to play more football but just are not good at it hence we create next to nothing.

However we now also have no physicalilty and are useless at defending and attacking set pieces.

Its awful to watch. Morisons window was a disaster. Tonight only Philogene and Ralls looked like good Championship players.

Yeah, good post. For me, this season doesn't really start until January '23 for us now. What with the stupid WC in the middle of it, an early season start, a terrible Summer window, Morison and then his subsequent sacking (we still don't know what for) now Hudson. It's a mess and staying up is the main job (forget the style...that ship has sailed already this season).

Ship out Harris, Watters and Etete too. Edit: and two or three others.

The best thing would be for the board to get a new manager in before January though. Hudson won't keep this side up and is another fill-in and we need better at Cardiff right now.

Yeah, good post. For me, this season doesn't really start until January '23 for us now. What with the stupid WC in the middle of it, an early season start, a terrible Summer window, Morison and then his subsequent sacking (we still don't know what for) now Hudson. It's a mess and staying up is the main job (forget the style...that ship has sailed already this season).

Ship out Harris, Watters and Etete too. Edit: and two or three others.

The best thing would be for the board to get a new manager in before January though. Hudson won't keep this side up and is another fill-in and we need better at Cardiff right now.
    A decent assistant and who knows

He's not up to the job on his own though , the pressure is intense here , more than it should be but he's got to get his shit together now because CCFC are not strong enough to deal with a relegation battle and the fans are quickly going to drift away

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    It's no good trying to get this side to play our way out of trouble

We have certainly changed our side but we don't have the skills level

It's time to get stuck in

Even then we might go down but at the moment we are sinking into league 1
    We don’t have the players to get “stuck in”, we have no plan B, can’t score, we’ll be lucky to stay up

There is no doubt in my view that this side in its current state is going down

Absolutely no fight in it , not scoring enough goals , not creating enough chances and a Glassjaw

If tan doesn't bring in new blood in January then its goodnight

Quote Originally Posted by UNDERHILL1927 View Post
    We don’t have the players to get “stuck in”, we have no plan B, can’t score, we’ll be lucky to stay up
    That's why tan needs to spend some money in January

Some of us knew this was going to be possible . All the talk of changing the style of play etc , get rid of the long ball

Well it looks like that's been a right balls up

What the f*ck were we thinking spending 500k on Etete?

we aren't going down, get a grip you lot, you've got even less bottle than the players

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    we aren't going down, get a grip you lot, you've got even less bottle than the players
    Two points off the relegation zone, you can bury your head all you want.

Is that based on any kind of evidence ?

I am all for positive thinking but this club has been on the slide for 2 years now

Based on what? (and i'm not saying that we are going down)