+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Steve Morison refuses radio interviews after that. Quick to dig out the youngsters but when he needs to front up- he hides.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Steve Morison refuses radio interviews after that. Quick to dig out the youngsters but when he needs to front up- he hides.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Corleone View Post
    No that didn’t sit well. I actually don’t mind his honesty but I can’t quite put my finger on it, he just doesn’t come across as very likeable in interviews
    It isn't honesty, it's blame shifting and always has been. He did exactly the same after the Bristol City shitshow

Never his fault, always somebody else. I can't believe how many people have bought into the hard man act

Re: Steve Morison refuses radio interviews after that. Quick to dig out the youngsters but when he needs to front up- he hides.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    It isn't honesty, it's blame shifting and always has been. He did exactly the same after the Bristol City shitshow

Never his fault, always somebody else. I can't believe how many people have bought into the hard man act
    It's this 'Talking Straight' Bollocks that seems to be a veiled way of deflecting responsibility. I think that some of our fans like that straight no nonsense characteristic, although i does have to have a bit of substance, and in accordance with the theme, shouldn't Steve practice what he preaches in terms of his own misgivings and mistakes?

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    It's this 'Talking Straight' Bollocks that seems to be a veiled way of deflecting responsibility. I think that some of our fans like that straight no nonsense characteristic, although i does have to have a bit of substance, and in accordance with the theme, shouldn't Steve practice what he preaches in terms of his own misgivings and mistakes?
    Tuerto, you’re someone who understands the game, can you shed any light on what our plan was going into the match - were we supposed to be pressing them like two or three were or sitting back and letting them play like the others were?

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Tuerto, you’re someone who understands the game, can you shed any light on what our plan was going into the match - were we supposed to be pressing them like two or three were or sitting back and letting them play like the others were?
    Thanks for the compliment, but plenty on here see the game very well in my opinion, including yourself and others, mine is just an opinion In my opinion we didn't really change a thing in terms of tactics and personal responsibility. Whenever i have seen teams deal with the jacks, and quite comfortably, they play a higher line, both midfield and defence, in order to compress the space in midfield and force swansea into making mistakes, it's worked on plenty of occasions this season, quite easily in fact. Morison has one outlet, the wing backs (in my opinion) he allows one midfield player to press, which isn't enough against Swansea, and none of our defenders step out, which would really help in overloading the midfield. In short, Morison allowed that to happen yesterday, and for Swansea it was a practice match, they didn't have to think, they weren't pressured or tested, all because of a negative set up and style of play. Just my opinion

Thanks for the compliment, but plenty on here see the game very well in my opinion, including yourself and others, mine is just an opinion In my opinion we didn't really change a thing in terms of tactics and personal responsibility. Whenever i have seen teams deal with the jacks, and quite comfortably, they play a higher line, both midfield and defence, in order to compress the space in midfield and force swansea into making mistakes, it's worked on plenty of occasions this season, quite easily in fact. Morison has one outlet, the wing backs (in my opinion) he allows one midfield player to press, which isn't enough against Swansea, and none of our defenders step out, which would really help in overloading the midfield. In short, Morison allowed that to happen yesterday, and for Swansea it was a practice match, they didn't have to think, they weren't pressured or tested, all because of a negative set up and style of play. Just my opinion
    That would make sense. I've never really grasped football 'strategy' as much as many others do, but what struck me throughout was how City's 'pressing' was totally ineffective. Swansea were more than capable of passing it out of defence through our pressing players, and into a vast wilderness where 2 or 3 simple passes brought them to our penalty area. We kept doing it, especially in the 1st half, and it certainly wasn't working.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    That would make sense. I've never really grasped football 'strategy' as much as many others do, but what struck me throughout was how City's 'pressing' was totally ineffective. Swansea were more than capable of passing it out of defence through our pressing players, and into a vast wilderness where 2 or 3 simple passes brought them to our penalty area. We kept doing it, especially in the 1st half, and it certainly wasn't working.
    Agreed, the problems come about when the space isn't condensed. It's all well and good pressing from the front, but against Swansea we need to press as a unit, the whole team, otherwise there will be space to exploit in other areas of the pitch. Swansea must've thought it was Christmas.

Agreed, the problems come about when the space isn't condensed. It's all well and good pressing from the front, but against Swansea we need to press as a unit, the whole team, otherwise there will be space to exploit in other areas of the pitch. Swansea must've thought it was Christmas.
    Which led to no end of problems. Harris, Hugill and Doyle just get completely taken out of the game in 2/3 passes.

Absolutely. I like Grimes but he was given the keys to the city yesterday. Even Wintle was chasing shadows and had a mare because of our 'game plan'.

First Team

Obviously I didn't go to the game but I did watch it live.

I agree with what is being said here.

I texted my mates over here that we needed to play 10 yards further forward and if we were going to press high up it need to be across our entire attacking third. So many times they just played a triangle and were left with an easy lateral out ball with free access straight to midfield. In the first half this happened time and again with them shipping it from their left to an open man on their right. Surely, SM could see this? Either don't play a pressing game or do it properly.

We lost. They played better. We had a lot of players having really poor games. They deserved it.

What I want from Morrison is a proper explanation and acceptance of what went wrong so I can see he is able to learn and improve, not silly platitudes and stupid ranty stuff. If he can't do that, he does not deserve respect.

Thanks, Swansea find us so easy to play against.

Thinking about it, the under 23s were playing like that early in the season when they were on that great winning run under Morison. I wrote at the time that there was a lot of sitting back, letting the opposition have a lot of the ball. The difference was that we had a very good side for the league we were in and we were very confident. It was a look at a team playing what seems to be Morison’s preferred way of approaching the game well. I remember him saying we were in charge of the game when we were out of possession after we’d thumped Peterborough and I could kind of see what he meant, but we were doing it every game at Under 23 level back in the autumn. The trouble is apart from that one match against the division’s worst team, I’ve not seen anything which comes close to matching it at senior level.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Thanks, Swansea find us so easy to play against.

Thinking about it, the under 23s were playing like that early in the season when they were on that great winning run under Morison. I wrote at the time that there was a lot of sitting back, letting the opposition have a lot of the ball. The difference was that we had a very good side for the league we were in and we were very confident. It was a look at a team playing what seems to be Morison’s preferred way of approaching the game well. I remember him saying we were in charge of the game when we were out of possession after we’d thumped Peterborough and I could kind of see what he meant, but we were doing it every game at Under 23 level back in the autumn. The trouble is apart from that one match against the division’s worst team, I’ve not seen anything which comes close to matching it at senior level.
    Our best display was v Forest.

Morison won't do that because he doesn't feel he's got the legs in the centre of defence to do so, which cost us yesterday.