Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
I agree entirely with your second paragraph. At the moment we're poor at the things we're usually good at, that's why I brought up the matter of the players getting away with things - I would have thought Neil Harris would have been taking things like that for granted at the start of the season.

Can I ask you as someone who has a better idea than most of us of how pros feel about the game given your time with the club, would there be any resentment at having to play in what is still a pretty regimented manner for a side that gives the impression at times that it does not want to have the football week in, week out, season in season out? If it was me, I'd hate having to play like we do all of the time, but then I've only ever played the game for enjoyment, do those who play it for a living have an attitude which says they pay my wages so I do what I'm told unquestioningly, or do they look at other clubs that play in a more progressive and entertaining manner and think that could be me?
Well, it was a long time ago, and the game has moved on massively, and i didn't get to any great heights on the playing side of things, although i was around professionals for a decent period of time. Most of the players i was around couldn't really play anyway I can recall certain players being more professional than others, Alan Curtis, Ian rodgerson, George wood and Leigh Barnard. Those players cared about their preparation and they stayed out after training. They also spoke about the game and how they thought it should be played, even if, at times, they didn't have the ability to implement it.

The game wasn't as technical back then, although i do remember arguments in training, especially from midfield players who would get frustrated at the ball going long from fullbacks etc, although that was what Burrows and Ashurst wanted. I'd say that most of the playing staff weren't that concerned with the style of play back then as long ball was the norm, and most of them (including myself, although i did like to play) didn't have the ability to carry out a more passing, technical based style.

From my point of view (and that of other young players that were at the club at the same time) the training and coaching was shit, it squeezed any amount of ability out of a player, it was all about hitting channels. The youth-reserve team coach was Bob Smith, he wasn't a nice man at all, a bully, we reported him to our PFA rep (Nick Platneaur) at the time, but nothing came of it.

Do i think that players care? Some more than others, most didn't really give a shit and were just after a contract in my opinion.