+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: UEFA- It has to be said

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: UEFA- It has to be said

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    I didn’t see the incident last night so can’t comment on the specifics but I am surprised at the reaction.

I’ve been involved in motorcycle racing for 60 years, in that time 201 riders have been killed on the Isle of Man, 22 of whom have been friends or very close friends. If I add in other UK & Irish tracks the number probably reaches 30 friends. I’ve seen horrendous & fatal accidents.

15 or 30 minutes later everyone is back racing.

I guess people are going to say it’s a shite comparison but for me it is the measure by which I can’t understand the fuss about this incident.
    I think today's 'elite' professional footballers are not cut from the same cloth as TT riders. The Danish and Finnish players have been provided with counselling, though having seen a colleague collapse and then receive expert medical treatment and recover consciousness would be a rather uplifting experience in my opinion..

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    I think today's 'elite' professional footballers are not cut from the same cloth as TT riders. The Danish and Finnish players have been provided with counselling, though having seen a colleague collapse and then receive expert medical treatment and recover consciousness would be a rather uplifting experience in my opinion..
    You know he was actually dead on the pitch at one point, don't you?

Of all the things to play the 'footballers today are softies' card on, this one is ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    You know he was actually dead on the pitch at one point, don't you?

Of all the things to play the 'footballers today are softies' card on, this one is ridiculous.
    But they are though. Most live in a protective bubble. sheltered from the great unwashed. They can't even manage their own 'twitter' accounts, often employing someone else to post all those 'great performance from the lads' messages for them.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    But they are though. Most live in a protective bubble. sheltered from the great unwashed. They can't even manage their own 'twitter' accounts, often employing someone else to post all those 'great performance from the lads' messages for them.

I feel like I've stumbled on to the Mailonline by mistake. Do you think they don't know how to operate twitter?

Their social media accounts are used as marketing tools. It's not my kind of thing, following someone like Harry Kane who has exactly that sort of message. I can't imagine enjoying reading the updates. Over 3 million people do follow him, for whatever reason.

But he doesn't have someone to write it because he's pampered and lives in a bubble, it's because they are for 'building the brand' and eventually selling merchandise.

Quite what the link between this and being offered counselling after having had the world watching you watching someone nearly die is, I don't know...