Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
Always nice to get insight from you, Tuerto, as you've got more inside knowledge from your playing days than probably anyone (though I know it's going back a bit )
The olden days! Some players just can't do all of that nutrition stuff, it's what they are, it's their character, yet they can perform on a match day, usually players who use raw skill, movement, intelligence in order to perform. In a strange kind of way I think that Peter Whittingham was that kind of player. Probably didn't enjoy training, running etc, liked his home comforts and seemed at ease with himself.

I always used to think to myself initially, when watching him, why doesn't he give a little more in terms of urgency, intensity, he'd be top half premier League if he did. Then I realized that if he changed so dramatically, then he would never have been the player we saw, that nonchalant stride and look of a librarian in times of crisis is what made him so good, it was as much part of his game as his wand of a left foot. I think that managers fall down when they try to change certain players and their habits.