Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
What is the left wing policy on immigration? Historically free movement of people has been a right-wing policy akin to the free market. (See America for most of its history) For most of the last century left wing societies in Europe didn't let you move abroad - many required government permission to move cities even.

I don't think it's a left/right thing. It's about finding a solution that works and at the very least a solution that doesn't sub-contract out the process to global human trafficking gangs to enrichen themselves by providing the service.

I agree though that many Labour voters are not particularly "left wing". And nor should they be. Most people just want a decent society and dont really care which ideological branch of this social science provides it. It's as relevant as religious doctrine to the majority of people.

And thank f**k for that. Imagine how awful the world would be if everyone spoke like we do on here
From your posts on here I assume you have a different view of what 'a decent society' looks like than I do.

Values and political positions flow from that.

Confederate slave owners, Stalinist functionaries and Middle England cheerleaders for Enoch Powell all told themselves they were in favour of 'a decent society'.

But very different interpretations of decency.