+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Brentford 4 - 0 Man U

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Brentford 4 - 0 Man U

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyscoular View Post
    Admittedly I'm a dinosaur from the '60s, but when and why did Manchester United become so despised? I thought they bought eternal protection from mean-spirited comments after the Munich air disaster. Did they exhaust their credit?
    For seasons before United won the initial Premier League the media had kept bringing up how long they had gone without a title, a bit like Liverpool until a few seasons ago.

Alex Ferguson was a love him or hate him character. United were so dominant after that PL winning season that there's something about any person or team that constantly wins that makes people either appreciative or the opposite. Stephen Hendry, Phil Taylor, during their pomp they were either adored or hated. Hendry constantly beating everyone's favourite in 4 world finals probably didn't help him win fans! Some might say that's a jealousy of success. I think it's a desire to see someone else win. There was an arrogance about United in the early days of the PL that didn't endear them to many. How often did they seem to have more injury time than anyone else? They also had an infuriating way of winning games when they were very much second best.

I was fully signed up to the anyone bar Man Utd club after a couple of PL seasons. Seeing them struggle as of late is hilarious! I'd love to see the big 6 struggle, but Utd more than the rest. Leicester winning the PL a few years ago was the best moment in the Premier League's history.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    For seasons before United won the initial Premier League the media had kept bringing up how long they had gone without a title, a bit like Liverpool until a few seasons ago.

Alex Ferguson was a love him or hate him character. United were so dominant after that PL winning season that there's something about any person or team that constantly wins that makes people either appreciative or the opposite. Stephen Hendry, Phil Taylor, during their pomp they were either adored or hated. Hendry constantly beating everyone's favourite in 4 world finals probably didn't help him win fans! Some might say that's a jealousy of success. I think it's a desire to see someone else win. There was an arrogance about United in the early days of the PL that didn't endear them to many. How often did they seem to have more injury time than anyone else? They also had an infuriating way of winning games when they were very much second best.

I was fully signed up to the anyone bar Man Utd club after a couple of PL seasons. Seeing them struggle as of late is hilarious! I'd love to see the big 6 struggle, but Utd more than the rest. Leicester winning the PL a few years ago was the best moment in the Premier League's history.
    Thank you for this. The Munich air disaster, along with the presence of such characters as George Best, Bobby Charlton, Denis Law and, let us not forget, Nobby Stiles, just cast a glow over that club. I do understand how success, especially dominant success, breeds frustration. I feel it myself a little right now as regards Manchester City. At first, I was pleased to see their rise since they always, always, always labored in the shadow of Manchester United. Seems to me now they are the perfect example of buying success. It sometime seems the Premier League is the usual top six, with the other 14 teams serving as cannon fodder.

Thank you for this. The Munich air disaster, along with the presence of such characters as George Best, Bobby Charlton, Denis Law and, let us not forget, Nobby Stiles, just cast a glow over that club. I do understand how success, especially dominant success, breeds frustration. I feel it myself a little right now as regards Manchester City. At first, I was pleased to see their rise since they always, always, always labored in the shadow of Manchester United. Seems to me now they are the perfect example of buying success. It sometime seems the Premier League is the usual top six, with the other 14 teams serving as cannon fodder.
    Since they won their last trophy, the 2017 Europa League, Man Utd have spent £672 million on players. Seems like they are the perfect example of buying failure.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Since they won their last trophy, the 2017 Europa League, Man Utd have spent £672 million on players. Seems like they are the perfect example of buying failure.
    So many wrong managers…..

I feel it myself a little right now as regards Manchester City. At first, I was pleased to see their rise since they always, always, always labored in the shadow of Manchester United. Seems to me now they are the perfect example of buying success.
    Manchester City signed the most expensive player in Premier League history when they bought Jack Grealish from Aston Villa. Interestingly, though, none of the other nine players in the top ten were signed by Man City.

Of the top ten most expensive players, Man Utd signed four, Chelsea signed three and Arsenal and Liverpool signed one each.