+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Devolution Wales v Scotland/NI

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Devolution Wales v Scotland/NI

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    the economic arguments against independence for Wales would have applied equally, if not more so to Ireland 100 years ago.
    they were the poorest part of the UK, today they are richer than the UK.
    if they had not become independent they would prit still be the poorest part of the UK.

the additional spend Wales gets compared to the rest of the UK is because we are older, poorer and in worse health. but none of that money is going to change that. only infrastructure and transformational spending will achieve that and Wales are always a forgotten child when it comes to that.
    That is a valid point about Ireland. However it took Ireland about 80 years to overtake the UK. So maybe it will benefit out great great great grandkids.

I'm not anti devolution at all. I think English regions should get more powers too, but I think the economic arguments for independence are very weak. Whatever they are however, it most definitely is not a 'no brainer' in any direction of argument.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    That is a valid point about Ireland. However it took Ireland about 80 years to overtake the UK. So maybe it will benefit out great great great grandkids.

I'm not anti devolution at all. I think English regions should get more powers too, but I think the economic arguments for independence are very weak. Whatever they are however, it most definitely is not a 'no brainer' in any direction of argument.
    yes it took 80 years to overtake the UK.

Wales has been a poor relation of England since it fell into English control what 7 or 8 hundred years ago. and it always will be.

First Team

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post

80 years? Come off it. Fantasy again. Ireland joined the EU in 1974 I believe. There's a pretty decent case to be made that 1974 would be the date on which Ireland's economy started to speed up to eventually zoom past jolly old England's.

It seems a perfect role model for Wales. Facing an economic catastrophe conjoined with Brexit England versus independence within the EU is no dilemma. Choosing the latter is a no brainer.