+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Learning Cymraeg, any takers?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Learning Cymraeg, any takers?

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    https://faw.cymru/news/learning-cymr...ough-football/

I think they're targeting the likes of JamesWales, The Lone Gunman and the ilk?

*shiitstirring*
    So after becoming fluent in Welsh you'll be able to have conversations with the same number of people in Wales as before as they all speak English 🤣. Much better off learning Spanish or another European language, you can then broaden your horizons

Quote Originally Posted by tomcat View Post
    So after becoming fluent in Welsh you'll be able to have conversations with the same number of people in Wales as before as they all speak English 🤣. Much better off learning Spanish or another European language, you can then broaden your horizons
    This has always been my thinking, have always wanted to learn a language, finally work has calmed down in the last year and think I can commit an hour a day soon to a Language.

Would love to speak Welsh, but find it hard to justify the investment, especially considering as a family we holiday in Spain.

Quote Originally Posted by tomcat View Post
    The course is not intended to make people fluent, it’s at the introductory/hobby level. A bit like learning a bit of Spanish so you can know some of the basics whilst on holiday. It looks like it will hardly take any time so good luck to anybody who wants to give it a go,

I started to learn Italian on Duolingo a couple of years ago. It’s a fun way of learning that has got me to a standard where I can just about get by over there now. I wouldn’t expect to get anywhere fluent using the app but it’s a good challenge with promotion / relegation depending on how much you do!

Quote Originally Posted by Grangenders View Post
    I started to learn Italian on Duolingo a couple of years ago. It’s a fun way of learning that has got me to a standard where I can just about get by over there now. I wouldn’t expect to get anywhere fluent using the app but it’s a good challenge with promotion / relegation depending on how much you do!
    I think the big question with language learning is why are you doing it. I speak German, and have some French and a very small bit of Italian. I'd love to improve in those latter two languages. I have the time to throw myself into it, but you really need a compelling reason to do it to keep the motivation up. I started learning Italian a few decades ago because I spent a bit of time there and met an Italian girl. I'm a bit too old (and a bit too married ) for that to be a motivation now!