+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Matt Le Tissier Sacking

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Matt Le Tissier Sacking

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    He was stunning, and he scored some of the best PL goals of the 90s - but an all-time great? I'm not sure he did anywhere near enough for that.

It's nice that he stayed at Southampton, but he never played at the champions League level, or in Europe at all as far as I remember (may be wrong). Serie A was a bigger deal in his era. I'd love to have seen him play there, though I just can't see him measuring up against the all-time greats like Zidane, Baggio, Batistuta, or even the "second string greats" of the time like Mihajlovic or Hagi.
    This is why I think he's underrated :)

Quote Originally Posted by Wash DC Blue View Post
    This is why I think he's underrated :)
    Fair enough!

For me, the consensus on him is just about right.

Didn't Charlie Nicholas and Phil Thompson leave sky at a similar time to him? Even if he hadn't made those mad tweets like the Anne Frank one he could have been out anyway. It was badly in need of freshening up.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Didn't Charlie Nicholas and Phil Thompson leave sky at a similar time to him? Even if he hadn't made those mad tweets like the Anne Frank one he could have been out anyway. It was badly in need of freshening up.
    Can you remember when that show had the likes of Rodney Marsh, Frank Mcclintock, George Best etc? Some of the shit they spouted on air was disgusting. I think that it was a case of shipping out the dead wood and modernising a bit.