+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Aeroplane Over The Etihad

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Aeroplane Over The Etihad

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    No. Absolutely not. Gammon is not a race.

As regards the insult being used to describe skin colour, I think I'm right in saying (although I haven't paid that much attention, so could be wrong) that those regarded as 'gammons' are not being so-described because of the natural colour of their skin, but rather the colour they turn while they are ranting and raving about their right-wing ideologies.
    Gammon isn't a race, no. It is aimed at white men on the right. Many names aimed at black people are not races either.

If people made up a name for a black section of the BLM movement that was based solely on the colour of their skin would that not be racist regardless of how small the group was or the reason for the name?

Quote Originally Posted by blue lewj View Post
    Gammon isn't a race, no. It is aimed at white men on the right. Many names aimed at black people are not races either.
    No, but they have their origin in race. Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the vast majority of people who refer to the over-excited, red-faced, right-wing 'gammons' of the same race?

Quote Originally Posted by blue lewj View Post

If people made up a name for a black section of the BLM movement that was based solely on the colour of their skin would that not be racist regardless of how small the group was or the reason for the name?
    If it is used as a racist slur then it's wrong and counter productive. I've never heard the phrase 'Gammon' so i've not got a clue what it stands for. Something to bear in mind though. Racist slurs towards black people have real connotations, history and consequences. I'm sure that we can agree on that.