+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Anyone who thinks Mick McCarthy will take this team in to the Playoffs.......

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Anyone who thinks Mick McCarthy will take this team in to the Playoffs.......

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    So, what is 30 per cent possession more likely to give you? A defeat or a victory? Don’t get me wrong, the Derby game was a masterclass in showing that less can be more when it comes to possession, but Huddersfield are an exception to the norm in being in a relegation struggle when their average possession figure is the second best in the league and 30 per cent possession week in, week out will surely see you closer to the bottom of the league than the top.
    I don't understand why people are so obsessed with possession stats. Huddersfield and Derby are examples of why it means very little. If we played like we did against Derby every week we would be top of the league by miles. Its what you do with the possession you have that counts. Teams like Derby, who mess around with it at the back and pass it back and forth between midfield and the goalie get absolutely nowhere. We had 65% possession away to Wycombe this season, played very badly and deservedly lost !

Re: Anyone who thinks Mick McCarthy will take this team in to the Playoffs.......

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    I don't understand why people are so obsessed with possession stats. Huddersfield and Derby are examples of why it means very little. If we played like we did against Derby every week we would be top of the league by miles. Its what you do with the possession you have that counts. Teams like Derby, who mess around with it at the back and pass it back and forth between midfield and the goalie get absolutely nowhere. We had 65% possession away to Wycombe this season, played very badly and deservedly lost !
    Yes I agree. Possession stats are based on the number of passes each team makes , not the amount of time they are in possession of the ball. I watched the Derby game and they were awful, the worst team I have seen this season, they just passed at the back because they didn't know what to do with it! 12 passes and we don't touch the ball means they have 100% possession. We nick the back and make one pass and score an they still have 91% possession but are 1-0 down. Daft.

As for the comment about the performance of certain players I think we should be grateful for what we have. McCarthy has Vaulks and Pack playing really well, and Bacuna was excellent last week when he scored two. They can't all play fantastically all the time. Criticising them when we are eleven unbeaten is bit silly. It could have been better but we could have been a heck of a lot worse too.