+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Alfie Doughty - CONFIRMED

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Alfie doughty - CONFIRMED

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    He caught my eye in a couple of televised matches for Charlton - he was playing more as an orthodox winger then. Would have preferred Giles, but I wouldn’t write him off because he’s not had much game time at Stoke.
    I'm not writing him off by any means. I know next to nothing about him, having never heard of him until this morning. It just amuses me when people claim players are decent, good or whatever based on such blatantly limited evidence.

This lad joined Stoke - a bang everage mid-table side - in February 2021 and hasn't made a single league start for them since. He could be anything.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    I'm not writing him off by any means. I know next to nothing about him, having never heard of him until this morning. It just amuses me when people claim players are decent, good or whatever based on such blatantly limited evidence.

This lad joined Stoke - a bang everage mid-table side - in February 2021 and hasn't made a single league start for them since. He could be anything.
    As long as hes better than what we've got....I think we're at that stage of desperation at the moment

Exactly. The glass half empty says he’s nothing special. But the glass half full shows how football is littered with players who don’t succeed at one club and go on to shine at others. Imagine if Chelsea had held onto De Bruyne and Salah. And closer to home, Jay Bothroyd didn’t spark any excitement when he signed for us.

Some players, for some reason, just don’t cut it at a particular club. 90 odd % of the time it’s that they’re just not up to it but there are a few that buck the trend. All we can hope is that Doughty is among the few.

"bang everage"
    Should be "average" - and as this is an adjective it should be expressed as "bang-average".
    "A compound adjective is a multi-word adjective. Most compound adjectives are two-word adjectives, but they can be longer. Usually, a hyphen (or hyphens) is used to link the words together to show that it is one adjective. For example (compound adjectives shaded):
    Please request a four-foot table.
    ("Four-foot" is an adjective describing "table." A hyphen is used to link "four" and "foot" to show they are part of the same adjective.)
    It is a 6-page document.
    Claire worked as a part-time keeper at the safari park.
    That is an all-too-common mistake.
    (This is an example of a compound adjective with more than two words.)"

In view of these errors, probably best to ignore this post.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    "bang everage"
    Should be "average" - and as this is an adjective it should be expressed as "bang-average".
    "A compound adjective is a multi-word adjective. Most compound adjectives are two-word adjectives, but they can be longer. Usually, a hyphen (or hyphens) is used to link the words together to show that it is one adjective. For example (compound adjectives shaded):
    Please request a four-foot table.
    ("Four-foot" is an adjective describing "table." A hyphen is used to link "four" and "foot" to show they are part of the same adjective.)
    It is a 6-page document.
    Claire worked as a part-time keeper at the safari park.
    That is an all-too-common mistake.
    (This is an example of a compound adjective with more than two words.)"

In view of these errors, probably best to ignore this post.
    Very illuminating. In a similar vein, is it thin-skinned or thin skinned?