+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Underrated life pleasures.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Underrated life pleasures.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    A great pleasure I discovered just a few years ago is walking with good company in our wonderful countryside (preferably with the sea in view at some stage) for a several hours, stopping en route to take in the view, to have coffee and picnic breaks and for an occasional breather when the going is tough - and retiring to a pub (these days just the garden) for a drink and communal chat afterwards. It's something I have become addicted to and rarely does a weekend go by without my organising such a day or two.
    It makes one appreciate nature more, it's healthy and it's a sociable activity too. It's not rock and roll but I like it.
    Are you a member of the ramblers ?

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Are you a member of the ramblers ?
    No. Never having really been a walker I joined a few Meetup walking groups a few years ago. I now lead walks for three of them inbetween leading walks along the SW Coastal Path for my friends via a Facebook group I set up. My fellow walkers tell me that the Ramblers can be very serious but I don't have any experience of them myself. Having a pint or two at then end and after several hours of strenuous exercise doesn't make me too guilty

No. Never having really been a walker I joined a few Meetup walking groups a few years ago. I now lead walks for three of them inbetween leading walks along the SW Coastal Path for my friends via a Facebook group I set up. My fellow walkers tell me that the Ramblers can be very serious but I don't have any experience of them myself. Having a pint or two at then end and after several hours of strenuous exercise doesn't make me too guilty
    We do a lot of walking (Pennines, UK national trails and European walking holidays) but just cannot get into group walks. We do go out with another couple once in a blue moon, and have sometimes been with groups on guided walks abroad but otherwise just the two of us. The main reason is not inherent anti-sociability (well, maybe me a bit) but because we want to set our own pace, and not be held back by the slowest. It does turn some walks into more of a route march than a stop-start ramble, but there is nothing better than getting into a good rhythm on a ridge or high moor and feel the heart and lungs pumping on the way up and the knees screaming on the way down! I agree about the pub at the end, though!

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    We do a lot of walking (Pennines, UK national trails and European walking holidays) but just cannot get into group walks. We do go out with another couple once in a blue moon, and have sometimes been with groups on guided walks abroad but otherwise just the two of us. The main reason is not inherent anti-sociability (well, maybe me a bit) but because we want to set our own pace, and not be held back by the slowest. It does turn some walks into more of a route march than a stop-start ramble, but there is nothing better than getting into a good rhythm on a ridge or high moor and feel the heart and lungs pumping on the way up and the knees screaming on the way down! I agree about the pub at the end, though!
    I know what you mean and it's ironic that it's the only activity I do in groups as I am usually a very independent type. However, I have met some great friends this way and I also enjoy doing something for other people to look forward to. I do other 'offline' walks without groups but with a friend or five.

Tiger Bay Ramblers down this way are a bit too serious for me , will have a look on meet up .

What sort of gear do you wear for walking ?

I have decent walking trainers for summer use

But now its autumn and winter coming I guess I should get myself some waterproof trousers ......is there such a thing , some base layers and a jacket .

I am not one for hiking up pen y fan in the pissing wind and rain

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Tiger Bay Ramblers down this way are a bit too serious for me , will have a look on meet up .

What sort of gear do you wear for walking ?

I have decent walking trainers for summer use

But now its autumn and winter coming I guess I should get myself some waterproof trousers ......is there such a thing , some base layers and a jacket .

I am not one for hiking up pen y fan in the pissing wind and rain
    I'm not a walking apparel nerd so I'm not the best person to ask. You do need waterproof boots for the wet weather though. Boots not only give your ankle more support than hardy shoes but you are likely to trudge through environments where the water would enter your shoes at ankle level.

I'm not a walking apparel nerd so I'm not the best person to ask. You do need waterproof boots for the wet weather though. Boots not only give your ankle more support than hardy shoes but you are likely to trudge through environments where the water would enter your shoes at ankle level.
    I have a pair of hi tech eurohikes , a decent budget walking boot

I tend to walk on roads , the local farmers round here are a bit odd

They don't like outsiders