+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Mick Lynch RMT Gen Sec

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Mick Lynch RMT Gen Sec

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    Well someone said no one was better off, to which I proved that the minimum wage rises in the last decade have gone up twice as fast as inflation.

If only you lot could eliminate economic facts and anyone with different opinions, then finally you would be happy!
    It only proves that the minimum wage was shit to begin with and has also brought people on minimum wage into paying income tax. What the government gives with one hand, it takes with another. (That's not a Tory dig as it applies to all governments)

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    It only proves that the minimum wage was shit to begin with and has also brought people on minimum wage into paying income tax. What the government gives with one hand, it takes with another. (That's not a Tory dig as it applies to all governments)
    It's also proved that the very lowest paid have had rises twice the rate of inflation, which is the opposite of what you said yesterday.

It's also proved that the very lowest paid have had rises twice the rate of inflation, which is the opposite of what you said yesterday.
    Why is the past relevant at all? Right now, is somebody able to live off minimum wage no matter where they live in the UK.

My guess is that a single male on minimum wage living in my area would be completely ****ed.

Is that good? Is it worth performing mental and statistical gymnastics every night on a Cardiff message board to stick up for that situation?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    Why is the past relevant at all? Right now, is somebody able to live off minimum wage no matter where they live in the UK.

My guess is that a single male on minimum wage living in my area would be completely ****ed.

Is that good? Is it worth performing mental and statistical gymnastics every night on a Cardiff message board to stick up for that situation?
    It's relevent because someone on here said all the lowest paid are worse off in the last 10 years in terms of wages v inflation, and that isn't true in terms of the minimum wage. Surely, facts matter?

It's relevent because someone on here said all the lowest paid are worse off in the last 10 years in terms of wages v inflation, and that isn't true in terms of the minimum wage. Surely, facts matter?
    It could very easily be true, as the facts you have quoted don't tell the whole story.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    It could very easily be true, as the facts you have quoted don't tell the whole story.
    No they don't, but saying 'none of the lowest paid' are better off after inflation is wrong. I don't see the issue in providing data to challenge it. I'm the first to admit there is a great wealth of statistics to look at, but if you are supportive of the minimum wage, then presumably you view it as a good thing that it has risen at twice the rate of inflation in the last 10 years, no?

No they don't, but saying 'none of the lowest paid' are better off after inflation is wrong. I don't see the issue in providing data to challenge it. I'm the first to admit there is a great wealth of statistics to look at, but if you are supportive of the minimum wage, then presumably you view it as a good thing that it has risen at twice the rate of inflation in the last 10 years, no?
    JW, I totally agree with you. Unfortunately the vast majority of posters on here are leftist, anti Tory, deluded brainwashed Labour voters. Hence we all always have a Labour Govt in Wales..... Now that really is a worry!

Of course, but you're being very selective with the facts you choose to use.

Quote Originally Posted by DryCleaning View Post
    Of course, but you're being very selective with the facts you choose to use.
    Because there was a specific point made that that disproved. I agree, statistics can be used anyway. Perhaps we should all recognise that and not make such hyperbolic or black and white statements? That would be a great thing!