Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
I can remember reading a book by Hunter Davies in which he was given access to the Spurs squad circa 70/72 in which a eighteen or nineteen year old Steve Perryman had just broken into the team. Politics barely gets a mention, but I can remember Perryman being genuinely shocked when Davies told him that almost all of the squad were “apathetic Tories” based on what they’d told him because Perryman assumed they were all Labour supporters like him.

That phrase “apathetic Tories” stuck with me because it’s an adjective for this country - full of people who keep on voting Conservative until something happens to change their own comfortable existence - seems like we’re seeing more evidence of this in the case of law breaking (I wrongly called it rule breaking in the thread title) in Downing Street.
I think there is a bit of confirmation bias here TOBW. People tend to vote for parties for the same reasons; because it's good for them, their family, their community or their country. Lots of apathetic Labour voters around who do so out of habit and in many cases because it's good for their own comfortable existence. There really isn't some grand moral difference here, it's just people have different interpretations of who has the best policies.

As for "party gate", as you know, I was less 'burn him at the stake' than most, but I do think he should have resigned and I said that on several occasions. Now, I think the time has passed and I don't think it would be that beneficial if he did. He has apologised and his brand has been rightly permanently damaged amongst everyone and I think there are more important things ongoing at the moment.

That said, it does rather depend what the Metropolitan police actually say and who they issue fines to, but generally speaking I've moved on.