It’s one of those ones where I think in the English game (or as VAR is now used in the premiership) it’s a pen. It’s a harsh one, one of those ones where I think it probably gets given anywhere else on the pitch but given it wasn’t an egregious kick, the attacking player was moving away from goal and arguably wasn’t in control of the ball himself, the fact it was in the penalty box, would probably have had to send the defender off as a result, in such a game… I can see why it wasn’t given too on the field. It’s a big call VAR or otherwise.

I’m fairly so-so about VAR overall but what it highlights for me is that refereeing is about interpretation and VAR is no different really. We’re seeing just as un-uniform interpretations in the same way we always had with different referees, in different countries, etc. In a way I feel like we’ve sort of ended up in the same place with its introduction.

I’d be disappointed if the boot was on the other foot, no doubt, but I’d also begrudgingly understand and stomach it in the same way as had we played that pre-VAR. Basically, the ref didn’t see enough in it to give it.

The refereeing had good moments, let the game flow and helped make it less bitty than it could have been given the occasion and conditions, although there were some moments where it felt like fouls were being given that I felt should have gone to the other side (both us and Ukraine). After the first couple cards early doors (not helped by James being a hot head), overall think the refereeing was fine.