+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is Baseball In The US A Good Watch Live ?

Re: Is Baseball In The US A Good Watch Live ?

Every one of the North American sports is a great day/night out. Baseball by far the cheapest and longest. Helps dramatically if you have a basic understanding (I love the strategic nuances of MLB & NFL). It helps even more if you’re emotionally invested in a team. Fortunately I am as Toronto has everything but an NFL team, but Fantasy Football more than makes up for that. I thought the Fantasy Premier League was good but the NFL version is SO much better

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    & they followed the Dodgers who went to LA. NY went from 3 teams to 1
    Yep for the next 11 years the Yankees was the only game in town. The Mets have strong support there now but it always seems like a Yankee city
    Last edited by Harry Lime; 03-08-22 at 14:10. Reason: Spelling typo

I watch 10 min highlights on You Tube (almost) every day…..got a “free bet” on the Mets to win the World Series …Go Mets !

Quote Originally Posted by G rangetown Blue View Post
    I watch 10 min highlights on You Tube (almost) every day…..got a “free bet” on the Mets to win the World Series …Go Mets !
    If I was a betting man, my money would be on a Yankees v Dodgers World Series.

Quote Originally Posted by cityhammer View Post
    If I was a betting man, my money would be on a Yankees v Dodgers World Series.
    Yeah, that’s probably favourite…although the Mets did ‘sweep’ the Yankees recently

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    It’s the only movie where I know every word in the script and receipt it in time with the actors.

Weirdly I’m not a fan of modern baseball by I love baseball history & have probably watched every available film / documentary.

Ty Cobb wanted to play, but none of us could stand the son-of-a-bitch when we were alive, so we told him to stick it!
    There is a regular season game being played in August on the actual site where the film was made. They did it for the first time last season and it was a great watch for any fans of the film

I’ve been lucky enough to visit several MLB stadiums, and a little tip is to buy the cheapest ticket you can, as the stadiums are rarely full, and you can just walk around the promenade and watch the game, and very often sit where you want after a few innings.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
    Yep for the next 11 years the Yankees was the only game in town. The Mets have strong support there now but it always seems like a Yankee city
    The Dodgers' last game in Brooklyn was in 1957. The Mets started playing in 1962 and had their own brand new stadium by 1964. That was the main reason the Dodgers left Brooklyn, which is the most common reason for any sports franchise in the US relocating: they wanted a new stadium.

Quote Originally Posted by Kind of Blue View Post
    It’s a big sport in Japan too and worth going to watch a game there should the chance present itself, bit of a different atmosphere and experience.
    I had the good fortune to visit Japan a few years ago and took the opportunity to watch games there too.

The atmosphere at them was fantastic.

Saw a game at the Tokyo Dome where the Giants played (They’re not called Tokyo, but Yomiuri Giants) What a brilliant venue. There were playing a team from the far side of Japan. The away fans were something else, didn’t shut up all game.

I also saw a Tokyo derby at the Swallows’s stadium. That was a great game. Amazing atmosphere. Ground was a sell out, ground was split 50-50 with each set of fans. The noise did not relent all game. One of the beat atmosphere’s I’ve ever experienced at a sports game. Would definitely go back to watch another.

Quote Originally Posted by Grangenders View Post
    There is a regular season game being played in August on the actual site where the film was made. They did it for the first time last season and it was a great watch for any fans of the film
    They did the whole thing exceptionally well. Loved the fact that the players entered the field of play by coming out of the surrounding corn field

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    They did the whole thing exceptionally well. Loved the fact that the players entered the field of play by coming out of the surrounding corn field
    Face value for tickets was around $400, but apparently, the average paid by those in attendance was closer to $1500!

Spent a year in New Jersey and my American mates were big Yankees fans so went to quite a few games with them. Loved the match day experience, drinking beers in the sun. At first my knowledge of the game was zero so didn’t quite enjoy the action but after a few games I got into more and more. What changed for me was when the play offs began - it was like a different sport. Unlike the regular season (180+ games?) where a defeat isn’t the end of the world as you play again the next day, the play offs game were tense and exciting where every pitch was scrutinised. Best of 7 games in the “semi final” and “final” meant huge and constant coverage as the week went on.

Quote Originally Posted by Grangenders View Post
    Spent a year in New Jersey and my American mates were big Yankees fans so went to quite a few games with them. Loved the match day experience, drinking beers in the sun. At first my knowledge of the game was zero so didn’t quite enjoy the action but after a few games I got into more and more. What changed for me was when the play offs began - it was like a different sport. Unlike the regular season (180+ games?) where a defeat isn’t the end of the world as you play again the next day, the play offs game were tense and exciting where every pitch was scrutinised. Best of 7 games in the “semi final” and “final” meant huge and constant coverage as the week went on.
    Agreed. Playoff baseball is a whole different animal. Losing in the regular season, especially before September is very much a case, "oh well, try again tomorrow". The excitement in postseason games is palpable.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    The Dodgers' last game in Brooklyn was in 1957. The Mets started playing in 1962 and had their own brand new stadium by 1964. That was the main reason the Dodgers left Brooklyn, which is the most common reason for any sports franchise in the US relocating: they wanted a new stadium.
    Yep sorry I was listening to a podcast the other day about the 1969 'miracle Mets' the date stuck in my head